Charged particle near a grounded plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Griffiths involving a point charge of mass m being released at a distance d from an infinite grounded conducting plane. The force on the charge is equal to the force equation, which can be solved for 't' by substituting y=ln x and using a substitution of the form x = d \sin^2{\theta}. The solution is t = \left({\pi d \over q}\right) \sqrt{2\pi \epsilon_0 md}. However, an easier method is suggested using the substitution x = d-x = t square, which leads to solving an integral of the form \int_0^d {\sqrt{x}\over \sqrt{d-x}}dx
Reshma
This one is from Griffiths. A toughie!

A point charge q of mass m is released at a distance d from an infinite grounded conducting plane. How long will it take for the charge to hit the plane?

I chose a distance 'x' as a height above the plane. So the force on 'q' is given by:
[tex]F = {-1\over 4\pi \epsilon_0}{q^2\over 4x^2}[/tex]

And equal that to force equation:
[tex]F = m\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2}[/tex]

So,
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2} = \frac{-q^2}{16\pi \epsilon_0 x^2 m}[/tex]

I need to solve this equation for 't'. Any clues?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, by the way, for once Griffiths has been kind enough to provide the solution for this problem :biggrin:.

[tex]t = \left({\pi d \over q}\right) \sqrt{2\pi \epsilon_0 md}[/tex]

This should be helpful.

Reshma said:
This one is from Griffiths. A toughie!

A point charge q of mass m is released at a distance d from an infinite grounded conducting plane. How long will it take for the charge to hit the plane?

I chose a distance 'x' as a height above the plane. So the force on 'q' is given by:
[tex]F = {-1\over 4\pi \epsilon_0}{q^2\over 4x^2}[/tex]

And equal that to force equation:
[tex]F = m\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2}[/tex]

So,
[tex]\frac{d^2 x}{d t^2} = \frac{-q^2}{16\pi \epsilon_0 x^2 m}[/tex]

I need to solve this equation for 't'. Any clues?

You will find the substitution y=ln x useful.

-Dan

You can multiply both sides by 2 dx/dt. This will leave you with d/dt((dx/dt)2) on the left side and d/dt(something else) on the right side, which you can easily integrate to get a first order ODE.

topsquark said:
You will find the substitution y=ln x useful.

-Dan
Did not work :frown: .

StatusX said:
You can multiply both sides by 2 dx/dt. This will leave you with d/dt((dx/dt)2) on the left side and d/dt(something else) on the right side, which you can easily integrate to get a first order ODE.

OK, I multiplied it by v = dx/dt on both sides.

[tex]v {dv\over dt} = \left({q^2\over 16\pi \epsilon_0 m}\right)\left({-1\over x^2}\right){dx\over dt}[/tex]

Taking [itex]A = {q^2\over 16\pi \epsilon_0 m}[/itex]

[tex]{d\over dt}\left({1\over 2} v^2\right) = {d\over dt}\left({A\over x}\right)[/tex]

So,
[tex]{1\over 2} v^2 = {A\over x} + \mbox{constant}[/tex]

I need to bring this 'v' in terms of 'x' to integrate. How do I proceed?

Last edited:
Oh dear, no replies...:rolleyes: .

I proceeded with evalutions and I think I figured out the answer.

When v = 0; x = d. So, constant = (A/d)
Hence,
[tex]v^2 = 2A\left({1\over x} - {1\over d}\right)[/tex]

[tex]{dx\over dt} = \sqrt{{2A\over d}}\sqrt{{d-x\over x}}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^d {\sqrt{x}\over \sqrt{d-x}}dx = \sqrt{{2A\over d}}t[/tex]

I just need to solve this for 't' but I'm not able to find a suitable substitution for the integrand terms to evaluate them. Any CLUES?

Last edited:
put d-x = t square . u will get integeral of the form integeral(dt/(d-t^2)^1/2) which is a standard integeral . i don't know there might be a shorter way ... but u ll get the answer through this

Hi Reshma,

You are on the right track. Along the lines gandharva suggested, you might try a substitution of the form [tex] x = d \sin^2{\theta} [/tex].

Thanks, Physics Monkey and gandharva. I got the answer.

What is a charged particle near a grounded plane?

A charged particle near a grounded plane refers to a scenario where a charged particle, such as an electron or proton, is located near a conductive surface that is connected to the ground. This creates an electric field between the charged particle and the grounded plane.

What is the significance of a charged particle near a grounded plane?

The presence of a charged particle near a grounded plane can have significant effects on the surrounding environment. It can alter the electric field in the area, induce charges on the grounded plane, and potentially cause electric discharges.

How does the distance between the charged particle and grounded plane affect the electric field?

The electric field between a charged particle and a grounded plane is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance decreases, the electric field strength increases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between a positive and negative charged particle near a grounded plane?

The behavior of a positive and negative charged particle near a grounded plane is the same. However, the direction of the electric field and the induced charges on the grounded plane will be opposite for a positive and negative charged particle.

How does the presence of a grounded plane affect the motion of a charged particle?

The presence of a grounded plane can affect the motion of a charged particle in several ways. It can alter the trajectory of the particle due to the electric field, induce charges on the grounded plane that can attract or repel the particle, and potentially cause the particle to lose or gain energy through electric discharges.