Charges, Electric Fields, and Work?

In summary, the problem asked for the amount of work required to move a test charge from one position to another in the presence of two fixed charges. The formula used to solve this problem was PE=Fd, and the integral form of this formula was used to calculate the work done as the force changed with distance. The final answer was 2.66 J.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

a +70µC charge is placed 50 cm from a -50µC charge. How much work would be required to move a -.5µC test charge from a point 10 cm from the +70µC charge to a point 20 cm from the -50µC charge?

Homework Equations

F=k(q[itex]_{1}[/itex]q[itex]_{2}[/itex]/r[itex]^{2}[/itex])
PE=Fd

...that's all I could get, I could be off by a longshot

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for PE by finding the Force acting upon the test charge in its initial and final positions, and then using the difference of those two positions as the force in the PE=Fd formula, where d = .2 m

All I can say is that I was way off my teacher's given answer, which is 2.66 J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you do the easier problem, with only 1 fixed charge 1 moving charge, if so you just add the work done separately for the two fixed charges of your problem? What would the work be? You have a formula, PE=Fd, which works for some problems? You need the integral form of your formula, you have an integral you must do as the force changes with distance. Can you integrate 1/r^2?

Spinnor said:
Could you do the easier problem, with only 1 fixed charge 1 moving charge, if so you just add the work done separately for the two fixed charges of your problem? What would the work be? You have a formula, PE=Fd, which works for some problems? You need the integral form of your formula, you have an integral you must do as the force changes with distance. Can you integrate 1/r^2?

Not needed, I figured it out.

Using PE = K(q1q2/r)

I just found ∆PE for the two positions:

PE (first position) = K(((-.5µC * 70µC)/.1) + ((-.5µC * -50µC)/.4))
= -2.58 J

PE (second position) = K(((-.5µC * 70µC)/.3) + ((-.5µC * -50µC)/.2))
= .075 J

∆PE = PE2 - PE 1
= (.075) - (-2.58)
= .075 + 2.58
= 2.66 J

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience an electromagnetic force. It can be either positive or negative, and like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract.

2. How do electric fields work?

Electric fields are created by electric charges and extend outward in all directions. They exert a force on other charges within the field, either attracting or repelling them depending on their polarity.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charge possesses by virtue of its position in an electric field.

4. How is work related to electric fields?

In the context of electric fields, work is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to the presence of an electric field. Work is done when a charge moves from one point to another in an electric field.

5. What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely through them, while insulators do not allow charges to move easily. This is because conductors have a high number of free electrons, while insulators have very few free electrons.