1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging a widget through induction

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    Hey Everyone,
    I am working on a project that uses induction to charge a widget by placing it within an EMF… just like how an electric toothbrush charges. This is for a device that will be used in the power industry, so we’re dealing with exposed, high voltage lines.

Do you know of an algorithm that I could use to figure out the max distance I can be away from a power line that’s, let’s say, 7kV to receive a 8v charge?

Is there a standard that states, “You lose 1kV for every inch you are away from the source?

I’ve been researching this for a few weeks now and have come up empty. Also, I’m open to any suggestions you may have. I don’t HAVE to use induction to charge it, it just seemed like a feasible source of power rather than a large battery or solar panel.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you might be able to give to me.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal power.

-Matt

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2
    electric toothbrushes are basically one half of a transformer in each side, they butt right up against eachother and thats how they work.

there are other types of "wireless" charging using radio frequencies. (analog radio is a simple model of transmitting power across air medium).

If you are designing this like the toothbrush, you should be able to use basic transformer equations describing conductance versus distances the coils are apart.

4. May 15, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply hxtasy, do you know that formula or a link to it? I want to be as far away from the power line as possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook