Charging a widget through induction

In summary, the conversation discusses using induction to charge a widget, similar to how an electric toothbrush charges. The project involves dealing with high voltage lines in the power industry. The individual is looking for an algorithm to determine the maximum distance they can be away from a 7kV power line to receive an 8v charge. They also mention researching for a few weeks and being open to other suggestions besides induction. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using radio frequencies for wireless charging and using basic transformer equations to determine the distance between coils. The individual is seeking assistance and clarifies that they are not trying to steal power.
sourapple
Hey Everyone,
I am working on a project that uses induction to charge a widget by placing it within an EMF… just like how an electric toothbrush charges. This is for a device that will be used in the power industry, so we’re dealing with exposed, high voltage lines.

Do you know of an algorithm that I could use to figure out the max distance I can be away from a power line that’s, let’s say, 7kV to receive a 8v charge?

Is there a standard that states, “You lose 1kV for every inch you are away from the source?

I’ve been researching this for a few weeks now and have come up empty. Also, I’m open to any suggestions you may have. I don’t HAVE to use induction to charge it, it just seemed like a feasible source of power rather than a large battery or solar panel.

I greatly appreciate any assistance you might be able to give to me.

P.S. I'm not trying to steal power.

-Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
electric toothbrushes are basically one half of a transformer in each side, they butt right up against each other and that's how they work.

there are other types of "wireless" charging using radio frequencies. (analog radio is a simple model of transmitting power across air medium).

If you are designing this like the toothbrush, you should be able to use basic transformer equations describing conductance versus distances the coils are apart.

Thanks for your reply hxtasy, do you know that formula or a link to it? I want to be as far away from the power line as possible.

1. How does induction charging work?

Induction charging works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one device to another. The charging pad or mat generates an oscillating magnetic field, which creates a current in the receiving device, such as a widget, and charges its battery.

2. Is induction charging safe?

Yes, induction charging is generally considered safe. The charging pad or mat only generates a low power magnetic field, which is not harmful to humans or electronic devices. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use certified charging products to ensure safety.

3. Can any device be charged through induction?

No, not all devices are compatible with induction charging. The device must have a built-in induction receiver or be equipped with a special case or adapter that enables induction charging. It is important to check the device's specifications or contact the manufacturer to determine if it is compatible.

4. How long does it take to charge a widget through induction?

The time it takes to charge a widget through induction can vary depending on the device's battery capacity and the charging speed of the pad or mat. Generally, it may take around 2-3 hours to fully charge a widget through induction, similar to traditional charging methods.

5. Can I use my phone while it is charging through induction?

Yes, you can use your phone while it is charging through induction. However, it is recommended to avoid moving the device too much, as this may interrupt the charging process. It is best to leave the device on the charging pad or mat until it is fully charged to ensure efficient charging.