Charging two parallel capacitors one of them is %50 charged

In summary, the charging time of two capacitors in parallel will depend on the resistance and any stray inductance involved.
tarek1984
hi
i need an equation which can describe the charging time of two parallel capacitors one of them is %50 charged

and if i have a capacitor which is always charged from 50% to 100% and never fully discharged will it have a different impedance than the fully charged/discharged capacitor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The charging time will depend upon the resistance (and any stray inductance) involved.
The 'Impedance' is not really a relevant factor when you are talking about charge / discharge - Impedance describes the effect of a circuit on alternating current signals. 'time constants' are more the relevant quantity in your problem.

Having two caps in parallel with one of them 50% charged and the other not charged at all is a really good trick. How do you propose to accomplish it?

Good point. I was assuming that he'd switch one in and out but perhaps not.

yes it can be done by switching and assume that this capacitors are ideal and they are connected to a resistance R

The time constant would probably be RC, where the C value is the two capacitors connected in series.

"in serise"! why they are connected in parallel as one capacitor

tarek1984 said:
"in serise"! why they are connected in parallel as one capacitor

But one must be discharging into the other one? Perhaps you need to draw us a picture with the details. It's not clear.

What does it mean for a capacitor to be half charged?

More optimistic than half empty? :tongue2:

Hmmmm...seems to me "that the voltage across is the same".

Since you are saying 50% charged I assume you are talking DC?

If talking DC...the capacitors should act independently in regards to charging. The non charged capacitor doesn't care what the 1/2 charged one is doing or visa versa.

Without some type of "resistance" value or "R"...you cannot calculate an RC constant.
If you are talking ideal...then your e^-((t/(RC))...if R=0...then should be instantaneous.

If you are talking real rather than ideal...you wires and caps have resistance built in.
But still you need to take them individually. Maybe take an ohmeter to the non charged caps and circuit without power supply. Easier if you just go ideal and insert your own resistor.

In regards to the cap you are interested in...to find the RC constant...if the resistor is in series with the power source...simply short the voltage source (on paper)...open the cap you don't want...and walla...RC constant is found. Or just go the easier route on that...you know. (Edit: prob not correct here...you have to find the total resistance first to get the correct voltage drop across the resitor...then expand back out. This will then give the correct voltage across your parallel connection for your equation)

If you put the resistors in series with each cap...That RC circuit is much easier. Just take the RC from the branch you are interested in.

I believe their parallel nature makes them act indepedent of each other if the resistor is NOT in series with the power source. Now if you start discharging one into the other or whatever, then yes the system must be combined as a whole.

It's the "voltage across is the same" is what is important to remember.

Ok...I just fried my brain. I hope what most of what I wrote is correct.

If not...Sophie will school me shortly as per usual...which I have learned to enjoy.
And if nothing else, hopefully I have spurred further conversation.

Last edited:
HAHA again. Just because you're paranoid doesn't actually mean I'm not out to get you.

I don't think we can decide on anything definite until the problem has been specified better. At the mo, I think we all have different pictures in our minds.

sophiecentaur said:
HAHA again. Just because you're paranoid doesn't actually mean I'm not out to get you.

I don't think we can decide on anything definite until the problem has been specified better. At the mo, I think we all have different pictures in our minds.

I have concluded you are much smarter, experienced and knowledgeable than me...

Therefore, like it or not...you are now my Mentor.

Congratulations...lol.

Ya... a more definite circuit would be better...but I threw out some points to make everyone think...especially myself!

psparky said:
I have concluded you are much smarter, experienced and knowledgeable than me...

Therefore, like it or not...you are now my Mentor.

Congratulations...lol.

Ya... a more definite circuit would be better...but I threw out some points to make everyone think...especially myself!

Older and uglier, you mean!

1. How does charging two parallel capacitors work?

When charging two parallel capacitors, the capacitors will charge at the same rate since they are connected in parallel. This means that the total charge on the capacitors will be split between them equally. For example, if one capacitor is charged to 50% of its capacity, the other capacitor will also be charged to 50% of its capacity.

2. What happens if one capacitor is already charged?

If one capacitor is already charged and the other is not, the charged capacitor will act as a voltage source and charge the uncharged capacitor. The charged capacitor will discharge until the voltage across both capacitors is equal.

3. Can charging two parallel capacitors damage the capacitors?

If the capacitors have the same capacitance and are charged to the same voltage, charging two parallel capacitors will not damage them. However, if the capacitors have different capacitances, the capacitor with lower capacitance may experience a higher voltage and can potentially become damaged.

4. How does the total capacitance change when charging two parallel capacitors?

When charging two parallel capacitors, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. This means that the total capacitance will increase when charging two parallel capacitors.

5. Can the charge on one capacitor affect the charge on the other capacitor?

Yes, the charge on one capacitor can affect the charge on the other capacitor when they are connected in parallel. This is because the charge will distribute itself evenly between the two capacitors, meaning that the charge on one capacitor will have an impact on the charge of the other capacitor.