Checking if H is a subgroup of G

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, GL_n(\mathbb{R}) is a subgroup of GL_n(\mathbb{C}) because it satisfies the three conditions for being a subgroup: the product of two matrices in GL_n(\mathbb{R}) is still in GL_n(\mathbb{R}), the identity matrix is in GL_n(\mathbb{R}), and every element in GL_n(\mathbb{R}) has an inverse in GL_n(\mathbb{R}).
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G = GL_n(\mathbb{C})[/itex] and [itex]H = GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex]

Homework Equations

Prop. A subset H of a group G is a subgroup if:
1. If [itex]a,b \in H[/itex], then [itex]ab \in H[/itex].
2. [itex]1 \in H[/itex]
3. [itex]\forall a \in H[/itex] [itex]\exists a^{-1} \in H[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuition says the answer is yes since the [itex]\mathbb{R} \subset \mathbb{C}[/itex], it seems reasonable to say the same about the general linear group of invertible [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrices. So if I am understanding how to check if H is a subgroup of G correctly, I need to test the three conditions above. Here goes:

1. Let [itex]a,b \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex]. Then the product of two [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrices [itex]a,b[/itex] is an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix [itex]ab[/itex]. Thus [itex]ab \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex].

2. The [itex]n \times n[/itex] identity matrix [itex]I \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex] since [itex]\det(I)=1[/itex] [itex]\forall n[/itex].

3. From the definition of [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{R}) = \{ n \times n \, \, \, invertible \, \, \, real \, \, \, matrices\}[/itex], it follows that [itex]\forall a \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex] [itex]\exists a^{-1} \in GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex].

So does this show that [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{R}) \subset GL_n(\mathbb{C})[/itex]? I'm confused since I haven't even mentioned [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{C})[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you did. You said that [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{R})\subset GL_n(\mathbb{C})[/itex]. Once you have that, you only need to look at [itex]GL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex].

Related to Checking if H is a subgroup of G

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a larger mathematical group that also forms a group under the same operation as the larger group. It must contain the identity element, be closed under the operation, and have inverses for all its elements.

How do you check if H is a subgroup of G?

To check if H is a subgroup of G, you must verify the three conditions for a subgroup: the identity element is in H, the operation is closed in H, and every element in H has an inverse in H.

What is the identity element in a subgroup?

The identity element in a subgroup is the same as the identity element in the larger group, and it must also be present in the subgroup for it to be considered a subgroup.

Can a subgroup have a different operation than the larger group?

No, a subgroup must use the same operation as the larger group to be considered a subgroup. This means that the operation must be closed in the subgroup and every element must have an inverse in the subgroup.

What happens if H does not satisfy the conditions for a subgroup?

If H does not satisfy the conditions for a subgroup, then it is not considered a subgroup of G. This means that it is not a valid subset that forms a group under the same operation as the larger group.