1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking the divergence of a function

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Check the divergence theorem using the vector function V = r^2 [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + sin(θ) [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] which is expressed in spherical coordinates. For the volume use a hemisphere of unit radius above the xy-plane (see figure below) (picture not shown, but I integrated r: 0 to 1, theta: 0 to pi/2, and phi 0 to 2pi)

2. Relevant equations
    ∫(Div V) d[itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\oint V da[/itex]
    (Divergence Theorem)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did the RHS first because it's simpler. given da = R^2 sin(θ) dθ dψ [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and R = 1
    [itex]\oint V da[/itex] → ∫sinθd from 0 to pi/2 * ∫dψ from 0 to 2pi, which is of course, 2pi.

I assume that because of it's simplicity, this side must absolutely be correct. Unfortunately, the LHS is much harder.

First I find Div V = 4r + 2cos(θ)/r, then I use d[itex]\tau[/itex] = r^2 * sinθ dr dθ dψ
    to obtain ∫ ( 4r + 2cos(θ)/r ) * r^2 * sinθ dr dθ dψ.

Next I integrate with respect to r, 0 to 1, to get sinθ (cos+1) dθ dψ. This is where it gets weird.

I integrate theta from 0 to pi/2 but I get 3/2. Since phi is from 0 to 2pi, and there are 0 phi terms, the answer must be 3pi. But this does not equal the LHS, which must be correct!

I have been doing this for a couple of hours and I cannot think of a problem. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2
    Are you sure you're integrating over the entire boundary surface? Perhaps you're forgetting something...

4. Sep 13, 2013 #3
    Done, thanks. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted