Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheese heaven

1. Mar 16, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have invented (the) best tasting cheese dish ever, buy a tub of cottage cheese with chives, mix in some reggiano, cranberries and some habanero chili, this is a sensation you will thank me for.
    Vary the quantities to taste

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Another tip, use old tatty field mushrooms, blanch them then juice as a substitute for beef stock.

The blanching is just physiological, to rid of any creepy crawlies, and the old mushrooms give the strongest taste.

4. Mar 16, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

That does sound good. I made baked breaded cod for supper with steamed squash, steamed green beans, and basmati rice. For a sauce for the fish, I mixed some green tomato salsa 50:50 with mayo and added some black pepper. Mmm!

5. Mar 16, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Never had any squash, as for fish type things, i yearn for muscles in chili sauce, the Dutch are the only people who know how to do this dish right, or soupa de pesk, an Italian dish
    boy was that chef good.

Edit

As i enjoyed his food so much, it was the early hours when i left with an invite to join his family.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  6. Mar 16, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I did try a mushroom and onion suet pie, but my suet is crap, but the taste was good.
    layer Caramelized onions with field mushrooms, add reduced mushroom stock, and blah de blah, surprise a beefy tasting gunge.

7. Mar 16, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

You probably know this, but use peanut oil in a very hot cast-iron pan (it can stand high heat without smoking) and caramelize your onions with minced or crushed garlic (and minced chilies), then add the mushrooms last because the water content of the mushrooms will give you too much juice in the pan, so the onions/garlic will not brown properly. That gives you a good base of vegetables for lots of dishes. I like to use browned vegetables like this to fill omelets, along with shredded sharp cheese.

8. Mar 16, 2008 #7
    The cranberries sound questionable to my palette...But whatever works, works...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?