1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Engineering and Thermodynamics

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

I'm a recent graduate of chemistry that wanted to be in chemical engineering but couldn't afford the schools around my location that offered it. While I spend a few years working and saving, I want to get ahead of the curve with the subject before I return to school.

Would any kind Chem. Eng.'s be willing to recommend me some starter and intermediate textbooks? I'm also looking for a solid statistical thermodynamics textbook that would be in depth and hopefully include exercise solutions, as well as an advanced thermodynamics textbook with a focus on applications.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 16, 2014 #3
    Hi winter. With your chemistry degree you should have a good background in math, physics and chemistry to further your studies in chemical engineering.

I consider the core chemical engineering courses to be the following:

o Material and energy balances
    o Thermodynamics
    o Momentum, heat and mass transfer
    o Reactor design
    o Unit operations
    o Process design

There are many electives that help round out the chemical engineering curriculum but this core provides a solid foundation.

If you have any questions or would like recommendations for textbooks for any of these courses please let me know.

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4
    Hey Smittron, thanks for the core outline!

Do you recommend a specific sequence of courses to build upon each other? I'd like text recommendations for Thermodynamics (I have Atkins Physical Chemistry), Material and Energy Balances, and Process Design. But if one requires another to learn well then I'll take that textbook instead.

Or if you're feeling unusually generous you could give me a textbook recommendation for each subject you have listed. If I get this job as a chemist at a cement manufacturing corporation it will be about 2 years before I go back to school, so at least I'll have that time to learn as much as possible.

6. Sep 17, 2014 #5

Maylis

Gold Member

One area you may have forgot to mention is process control.

The main textbooks for some of those subjects

- Mass/Energy balance (Felder and Rousseau)
    - Thermodynamics (Smith, Van Ness, Abbott)
    - Momentum, Heat, Mass Transfer (Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot)
    - Reactor Design (Fogler)
    - Unit Operations (Geankopolis and/or McCabe)

Just look on amazon at the authors and you will see the books. You need all those subjects before you are ready for process design, so this should keep you busy for the next couple years

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  7. Sep 17, 2014 #6
    Hey Maylis, are these the proper textbooks you're referring to?

Transfer Phenomena --> For momentum, heat, and mass transfer by Bird et al.
    Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes -->Mass/Energy balance by Felder

Thanks for your suggestions. Looks like I'll have a lot of interesting stuff to learn.

8. Sep 17, 2014 #7

Maylis

Gold Member

Yes those are the ones

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted