Chemicals in foods that produce high

• Thread starter THX-1079
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, combining certain foods or candy + certain drinks + ephedrine can give a feeling of extreme pleasure (a type of "high"). The ingredients in these products include white chocolate, peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, and TBHQ (a preservative). The calorie and carbohydrate content of these products are low, while the protein and fat content are high. The products also have a high fructose corn syrup content, which may contribute to the "high" feeling.
THX-1079
Chemicals in foods that produce "high"

This is a strange question i suppose...but I've wondered about it for a while-

When I combine certain foods or candy + certain drinks + ephedrine I get a feeling (a type of "high") that is so extreme I nearly pass out. I am not into drugs and I only take ephedrine due to severe hay fever (it's the only thing that helps without making me tired and out of it)

I will list the names of the products and their ingredients- (I know it's not healthy and I do not consume this on a regular basis, when I do i never consume the entire product, usually only 1 'zinger' and one or both of the 'Reese's cups')

"Reese's White Chocolate peanut butter cups" =

white chocolate(sugar; cocoa butter; nonfat milk; lactose; reduced minerals whey; milk fat; soy lecithin and PGPR; emulsifiers; vanilla; artificial flavor; and tocopherols) peanuts, sugar, dextrose, salt, and TBHQ (preservative)

-230 calories - 22g carbs - 5g protein - 13g fat

"Dolly Madison 'Zingers' iced vanilla (not the chocolate or rasberry only vanilla) creme filled cakes" =

sugar, enrichered bleached wheat flour (flour; ferrous sulfate; niacin; thiamine mononitrate; riboflavin; folic acid) water, corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening, contains one or more of : (partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, beef fat *yuck*) high fructose corn syrup, modified wheat starch, contains 2% or less of : (dairy whey, whole eggs, leavenings (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate) modified corn starch, egg whites, nonfat milk, soy protein isolate, salt, dextrose, cellulose gum, guar gum, agar, glycerin, natural and artificial flavors, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, cornstarch, sodium and calcium caseinate, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, propylene glycol, adipic acid, lemon oil, calcium sulfate, sorbic acid, FD&C yellow 5 and 6

-150 calories per cake (3 cakes) -25g carbs -5g fat

"Diet Mountain Dew" =

carbonated water, concentrated orange juice, citric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, citrus pectin, pottasium citrate, caffiene, gum arabic, natural flavors, brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5, and erythorbic acid.

"Bronch-eze multi action" =

-25mg ephedrine hydrochloride
-200mg guaifenesin

-The obvious reply would be that it is a "sugar/carb rush" or a "high" from the ephedrine, however I have substituted these products with other types of candy/cakes, ect. with similar carbs and calories and did not have the same reaction. I have experimented with the original (not the white chocolate) type of Reese's peanut butter cups, as well as the chocolate and rasberry types of the Dolly Madison Zingers and regular (not diet) Mountain Dew and I did not have the same reaction. I do not get a rush or "high" from taking the ephedrine without taking these products with it.

This combination produces a very strange feeling (kinda like the 'passing out' feeling you get when your sedentary and you stand up very quickly from a sitting position and practically fall back down to the sitting position --'light headed', dizzy, see spots/ everything turning grey, cannot focus, can barely keep eyes open, extremities turn numb, weak in knees, ---kinda like the when your about to pass out in class and your head 'bobbles' and you keep jerking yourself awake)

I have conducted this experiment many times and it will only occur when these specific products are combined --

I don't know if anyone can figure this out (i know i can't) -- i was thinking along the lines of the mixture of ephedrine, phenylalanine (from diet mt dew), tocopherols and a number of things from the 'zingers' has something to do with it, but i don't know--

-

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
it might not be such a good idea to "experiment" so much on yourself, especially if it produces effects, "so extreme [you] nearly pass out".

Have you ever tried taking the reactants (the candy, drink, ...) and mixing them together in a bowl or something, maybe add some HCl for stomach acid and then watching what happens?

no. I was thinking along the lines of the neurotransmitters that are produced by these chemicals such as dopamine and if they are produced in large amounts or if any of these chemicals may inhibit certain neurotransmitters which in effect creates the feeling... i was only experimenting because i accidently experienced this "high" and I couldn't figure out why (I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with me and it was simply a reaction to an outside source)

Hey...*sniff*...you got the stuff...main? ;)

I think you mean 'mane'...*sniff*...but I'm a girl

1. What are chemicals in food that produce high?

Chemicals in food that produce high are substances that can affect the brain and nervous system, leading to feelings of euphoria, relaxation, or altered perception when consumed.

2. Are these chemicals harmful to our health?

It depends on the specific chemical and the amount consumed. Some chemicals, such as caffeine, can produce a temporary high without significant health risks. However, others, such as certain food additives or drugs, can have harmful effects on our bodies and should be consumed in moderation or avoided altogether.

3. How do these chemicals produce a high?

Chemicals in food that produce high typically work by interacting with neurotransmitters in the brain, such as dopamine and serotonin, which are responsible for regulating our mood and emotions. These chemicals can either stimulate or block the production or absorption of these neurotransmitters, leading to changes in brain activity and resulting in a high sensation.

4. What are some common foods that contain chemicals that produce high?

Certain foods, such as chocolate, contain natural chemicals like theobromine and anandamide that can produce a mild high. Additionally, highly processed foods, energy drinks, and certain food additives, such as monosodium glutamate (MSG), have been reported to produce a high sensation in some individuals.

5. Can consuming these chemicals become addictive?

Some chemicals in food that produce high, such as sugar and caffeine, can lead to dependence and tolerance, causing individuals to crave and consume more of these foods to achieve the same high sensation. However, not all individuals develop an addiction to these chemicals, and it ultimately depends on an individual's genetic predisposition and overall lifestyle factors.