Thoughts on Lorrain & Corson wanted

• Classical
  • Thread starter snatchingthepi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the individual is planning to leave their physics program to pursue engineering studies, but wishes to continue their formal physics education independently. They have decided to focus on studying electromagnetism and are considering using Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" as their main learning material. They have not found many reviews of the book online, but have gathered that it is comparable to Griffiths' book and is well-organized for pedagogical purposes. They are also open to suggestions for other books on electromagnetism. The individual has not spent much time with Lorrain and Corson's book, but has found it to be good so far, particularly in terms of the interesting problems it presents. They have
snatchingthepi
I am in a situation where I will be leaving my physics programme to pursue engineering studies, but I am looking to continue my formal physics education independently. I have decided that the next logical step is to pursue a more rigorous study of electromagnetism and am looking at different textbooks for use my main learning material.

As per the title, I am very strongly considering using Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" (third edition). The style of writing and the organization of the topics appeals greatly to me, but I have found very little online in the way of "reviews" on the book. The general impression I've gathered is that it's comparable to Griffiths' book on the subject but perhaps is slightly more pedagogically organized. I also have Griffiths' book and am familiar with it's place in the undergraduate curriculum.

Does anyone have any experience with the text or have some knowledge of how well it would serve as a text for a senior-level look at electromagnetism? I would also appreciate suggestions of other books if you have a strong affinity for one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not spent a lot of time with Lorrain and Corson's "Electromagnetic fields and waves", but what I have read looked good. I know Griffiths better, and suspect that they are complementary. The one aspect I really liked from Lorrain and Corson is that many of the problems were fundamentally interesting - they analyzed actual devices or phenomena, instead of just arbitrary textbook-style problems. I would say the same about the problems in the lower division book they wrote called "electromagnetism, principles and applications" - which I wish I had known about while trying to learn from the 2nd edition of Purcell way back when.

Likes snatchingthepi

What is Lorrain & Corson wanted?

Lorrain & Corson wanted is a scientific concept that refers to the idea that thoughts can influence matter and events in the physical world.

Who are Lorrain & Corson?

Lorrain & Corson are two scientists who proposed the theory of "thoughts on Lorrain & Corson wanted" in the 1940s.

What evidence supports the theory of thoughts on Lorrain & Corson wanted?

There have been several studies and experiments that suggest a link between thoughts and physical outcomes, including the placebo effect and the power of positive thinking.

Is the theory of thoughts on Lorrain & Corson wanted widely accepted in the scientific community?

The theory is still a subject of debate and is not widely accepted by the scientific community. While some researchers continue to explore the concept, others argue that there is not enough evidence to support it.

How can the concept of thoughts on Lorrain & Corson wanted be applied in everyday life?

Some people believe that by controlling their thoughts and focusing on positive outcomes, they can manifest those outcomes in their lives. However, there is no scientific proof that this is possible.