1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi sqaure & confidence interval

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    Lets say you have 5 trials, and 5 output lets say {5, 43, 60, 30 , 4}....so how would u get the chi sqaure from here & the confidence interval. i havent work on prob &statc in years, thanks a lot for help folks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2008 #2
    I'm supposing you made up this problem... for your random sample of size n=5 is {5, 43, 60, 30 , 4},these are your observed cells/frequencies, but you do not have have your expected cells/frequencies.
  4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    Basically u can do the confidence for 99%
  5. Jun 19, 2008 #4
    I don't understand what you're trying to do.

For a Chi-Squared test, you need a null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis.
    The test statistical value is [tex]\chi^2=\sum \frac{(O-E)^2}{E} [/tex]
    where O is a shorthand notation for your observed cells and E is the shorthand notation for expected cell/frequency.

If you are trying to find the confidence interval for the true variance [tex]\sigma^2[/tex], then the formula for that is

[tex] P\left( C_{1}< \frac{(n-1)s^2}{\sigma^2} < C_{2} \right) = 1- \alpha[/tex] = .99 since 100(1-alpha)% =99%

where [tex]C_{1}=\frac{(n-1)s^2}{\chi_{\alpha/2,n-1}}[/tex] is the lower limit
    [tex]C_2 = \frac{(n-1)s^2}{\chi_{1-\alpha/2,n-1}}[/tex] is your upper limit.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
    lets say u consider #5 as the thresh#, and for the numbers> 5, u tryto find the confiendnce interval for 99.99% or greater. thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?