China: Boldly Going Where No Grid Has Gone Before

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    China
  • Featured
In summary: China does it better, because they can go up to 1100 Kv and still have manageable capacitance.In summary, China has pushed the boundaries of power transmission grid operations by boldly going where no man has gone before. They challenged the catechism that increased interconnectivity of the AC grid is more reliable; a principle we used for more than 100 years. Hats off to them.
OmCheeto said:
That negative pricing, may be their own fault...
Negative pricing is caused by the wind subsidy of $23. No subsidy, no negative price.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Found this List of Siemens projects - seemed to relate. Sorry - kind of a large PDF.

However on the issues of Subsidies - it REALLY is not black and white, examples,

The entire US telecom system was built on subsidies as a part of national defense, the mid-city "Bell Buildings" were heavily fortified (as in nuclear strike level) and the battery capacity was larger than probably needed. This infrastructure in turn made the USA a leader in many productivity, and technology fields. Would have never developed the way it did without federal money.
In the US home ownership is subsidized through the Fed loaning the banks money - to encourage home ownership.
The Coal industry HAS been heavily subsidized in environmental clean up, medicare cost to workers, as well as federal subsidy on rail infrastructure. Also - don't forget that the whole utility industry was built during regulation when every power plant was essentially guaranteed to make money through price controls. The coal industry has been on the ropes basically since the market de-regulated, Solar may finally kill coal, but it was already pretty sick.
The whole tech industry has benefited through government spending for space and defense - including the commercial development of solar technology.

All of these encourage behavior that will not occur through pure free market models - yes it is easy to look at a single policy and call foul, but it is a tool to promote change.

2c

Likes OmCheeto
this recent event was manipulated by some politicians something of evidence of the failure of renewables.

investigations showed no link between wind and the black-outs. apparently storms can't tell the source when they are knocking out transmission lines and infrastructure.

the prices coal utilities charged to top up power appears to me to be to be opportunism and exploitation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Australian_blackout

Last edited:
Windadct said:
The entire US telecom system was built on subsidies as a part of national defense,...
I don't know the funding history of the original copper and microwave land line system, but the defense department did not pay for the cellular a network in place today, which was funded by commercial debt and user fees. So too the fiber optic network replacement of the copper and microwave landlines, though the FCC offers some subsidies to accelerate more "broadband" access.

but it is a tool to promote change.
Perhaps, and perhaps it is a tool to promote cronyism.

Windadct said:
Ah! Hahahahahaha!
OmCheeto said:
But, as I've said, this is way too much information for me to process in just a few days...
I'm glad I'm not the only one:
2016.11.29.Siemens.Pacific.NW.to.Los.Angeles.points.png

Sorry. I just thought it was funny.

Siemens crew making pdf:
Person #1; "Where is 'The Dalles'?'
Person #2; "Nobody even knows where Oregon is. Just pick a spot."
Person #1; "Ok"​
However on the issues of Subsidies - it REALLY is not black and white, examples,...
It really is, quite complicated.

Even the Siemens picture shows that the terminal is at a river...

mfb said:
Even the Siemens picture shows that the terminal is at a river...
There is a river where they put 'The Dalles".
Perhaps it was one of my cousins, playing a joke.
The Siemens picture looks quite similar to an aerial view of the Rogue Brewery.
:biggrin:

anorlunda said:
Here is an interesting item I would like to share. It seems that China has drastically pushed the boundaries of power transmission grid operations. They boldly go where no man has gone before. :wink:

How and why?
  • The combination of geography and demographics leads them to place large generation resources very far away from the loads where consumers live.
  • Excessively long transmission lines make HVDC attractive as a competition for AC.
  • Excessive number of HVDC lines brings new operational challenges and opportunities, which they seem to be managing just fine.
They are doing things that old timers like me never imagined. Specifically, they challenged the catechism that increased interconnectivity of the AC grid is more reliable; a principle we used for more than 100 years. Hats off to them.

I think they are just spreading the pollution around, the further it is from your major cities it is the more it becomes someone else's problem. China builds all kinds of crazy infrastructure projects to keep the populous employed, it's been a big part of the economy there for years. Unfortunately most public work projects suffer from really shady construction practices which tends to shorten their lifespan so they get to build them all over again.

Guy Madison said:
I think they are just spreading the pollution around...
Not so much. Check the IEEE reference supplied by the OP.

...It operates more than 20 HVDC lines that deliver hydro, coal, and wind power from the nation’s interior to its eastern megacities. In southern China, five HVDC lines carry about 26 gigawatts of hydropower from mountainous Yunnan province to the coastal factories of Guangdong, ...

Also, the pollution harm from coal is not linear. That is, the collective harm from particulates and smog is not as great as when it's concentrated, say, near a city. So it may be true that the same amount of particulates are 'spread' around, but the harm is not the same.

mheslep said:
Not so much. Check the IEEE reference supplied by the OP.
Also, the pollution harm from coal is not linear. That is, the collective harm from particulates and smog is not as great as when it's concentrated, say, near a city. So it may be true that the same amount of particulates are 'spread' around, but the harm is not the same.

Sure.. but when it's away from a major city.. pollution becomes someone else's problem. Major coal plants even in the US are located away from major cities for the same reason, and it's so much much easier to offload coal trains in sparsely populated areas. Think of all the coal plants that line the interstate 90 corridor from Montana to Chicago.

Guy Madison said:
Sure.. but when it's away from a major city.. pollution becomes someone else's problem. Major coal plants even in the US are located away from major cities for the same reason, and it's so much much easier to offload coal trains in sparsely populated areas. Think of all the coal plants that line the interstate 90 corridor from Montana to Chicago.
I think you missed my point about concentration. Locating a coal plant in rural area is someone else's problem, but it's *less* of a harmful problem even on the individual basis, given the next plant is, say, 250 miles away instead of 10 miles away, possibly nobody lives within a couple miles of the plant in a rural area (unlike urban coal plants), the rural stack is, say, 100M tall instead of 40M in an urban area, etc.

mheslep said:
I think you missed my point about concentration. Locating a coal plant in rural area is someone else's problem, but it's *less* of a harmful problem even on the individual basis, given the next plant is, say, 250 miles away instead of 10 miles away, possibly nobody lives within a couple miles of the plant in a rural area (unlike urban coal plants), the rural stack is, say, 100M tall instead of 40M in an urban area, etc.

Maybe you missed my point, but that's exactly what I am saying. You put a coal plant away from cities. I am not anti-coal or all that, my dad made a lot of money building specialized stainless steel components for coal fired plants in the midwest.

If we are looking for polluters the media should publish more on bovine emissions.

Back