Chinese Math and Science Texts

• Thread starter motx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of resources for purchasing Chinese math and science textbooks. The main options are Chinese bookstores or purchasing college level English textbooks. The quality of Chinese textbooks is also mentioned, with some being poorly written. The conversation also touches on the speaker's interest in learning Mandarin and their experience purchasing English textbooks in China.
motx
Is anyone aware of any resources available for purchasing Chinese math and science texts? The only ones I've been able to find sell but Chinese middle school texts.

Physics news on Phys.org
depending on where u live they might have chinese book stores, where I live (Vancouver) they have a store called Beijing Bookstore
if you just want challenging math and science texts and you have no problem understanding english then I simply suggest you purchase college level math and science books

Right. The chinese bookstores around here carry only the most elementary mathematics texts in chinese.

I'm currently in a rather intense program to learn chinese-mandarin. I have next to no time to study anything outside my target language. The idea is to be able to study chinese and math simultaneously.

I'm a Chinese student and just wonder why you have interests in Chinese math and science texts.Do you just want to learn mandarin.Actually,I would like to read texts written in English rather than in Chinese.Many Chinese math and science books are not good,though there are some well-written.

Are you referring to those China Mainland mathematics books that are usually published by those big universities in Mainland China?

Or those textbook in English but printed in Mainland?(much cheaper than the standard version, but lower quality)

Personally I got 2 books like that(in English, but printed in Mainland China)
I bought Rudin's Principle of Mathematical Analysis for around 5 bucks new.

Then again, I am pursuing my study in Hong Kong, so it's easier for me to get those books.

Related to Chinese Math and Science Texts

1. What are some famous Chinese Math and Science Texts?

Some famous Chinese Math and Science Texts include "The Nine Chapters on the Mathematical Art", "The Ten Classics of Mathematical Sciences", and "The Canon of Medicine".

2. How did Chinese Math and Science Texts influence the world?

Chinese Math and Science Texts have greatly influenced the world through their contributions to fields such as mathematics, astronomy, medicine, and technology. Many of their discoveries and inventions were later adopted and built upon by other civilizations.

3. What are some key principles in Chinese Math and Science Texts?

Some key principles in Chinese Math and Science Texts include the use of practical and empirical methods, the importance of observation and classification, and the belief in the interconnectedness of all things.

4. How were Chinese Math and Science Texts preserved and transmitted?

Chinese Math and Science Texts were preserved and transmitted through various means such as handwritten copies, woodblock printing, and later on, the invention of moveable type printing. They were also passed down through oral traditions and teachings in schools.

5. What contributions did Chinese Math and Science Texts make to mathematics?

Chinese Math and Science Texts made significant contributions to mathematics, including the invention of the decimal system, the concept of zero, and the use of negative numbers. They also made advancements in geometry, algebra, and trigonometry.