Choose Between Physics & Mechanical Engineering: Advice from Experienced People

In summary: It is characterized by extreme mood swings, where one day someone can be in a good mood and the next day they can be in a bad mood.In summary, bipolar disorder is a mental illness that affects 1 in every 100 people. It is characterized by extreme mood swings, where one day someone can be in a good mood and the next day they can be in a bad mood.
magnas
Hi,
Currently i am doing a physics major(first semester) and even though i hated it the experimental courses, I loved the dynamics part with a touch on the relativity. Right now, i am not planning to be a physicst, i am doing this for educational and interest purpose only.
When one asks himself between physics and let s say mechanical engineering, what should he consider?
Also, i am a little concerned about job prospects, but i believe that a physics degree can provide a great basis for in fact, any field.
I would like to know opinions from experimented person, and if you could specify your current status it would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I am of the strong opinion that for just about everyone, by far the most important reason to go to college is to prepare for a career. It should therefore be the basis for such decisions.

Job opportunities for a Physicist are lower than those of an engineer...

Andrakes said:

Especially if you're the type of physics major who hates the applied/experimental side of things.

Andrakes said:

thegreenlaser said:
Especially if you're the type of physics major who hates the applied/experimental side of things.

I agree.

If you aren't planning on being a physicist, you should start looking into other fields. Yes physics is interesting, but it's more difficult getting a job with a BS in physics than with a BS in engineering.

If you really don't want to be a physicist, don't study physics, quite simply.

If you want some degree of certainty of the jobs you'll have after graduating, you'd probably be better off not going for an academic career like physics or math and pursuing a profession like engineering. That probably goes double if you're shelling out a lot of money for your education like in the states or in the UK.

If you're not running up huge debt for your undergrad (or getting it fully paid for as I am) maybe an academic career is ok if you are really convinced you enjoy what you're studying, but don't place any bets on what kind of job you'll get. At least you'll spend 4-5 years doing what you like without ending up in debt.

But if you don't like entry level experimental courses in a physics degree, I think you'd be pretty miserable in engineering, irrespective of job prospects.

Engineering ought to give you a handful in physics education to maybe satiate your thirst, and shows you how we use it in reality. If you're that ambitious you can only do a dual degree, since most subjects overlap nicely...

Femme_physics said:
Engineering ought to give you a handful in physics education to maybe satiate your thirst, and shows you how we use it in reality. If you're that ambitious you can only do a dual degree, since most subjects overlap nicely...

Electrical Engineering did not satiate my desire for physics knowledge, which is why I did a double degree in physics. OP, see if you can do something like that; I know more theory than most engineering undergraduates and a lot more experimental methods than any ugrad physics majors I know. Engineering and physics classes do not overlap as much as most would like to think, and even in the subjects that do they don't overlap nicely. Maybe look for an accredited engineering physics degree or like I said try to double major.

magnas said:
Hi,
Currently i am doing a physics major(first semester) and even though i hated it the experimental courses, I loved the dynamics part with a touch on the relativity. Right now, i am not planning to be a physicst, i am doing this for educational and interest purpose only.
When one asks himself between physics and let s say mechanical engineering, what should he consider?
Also, i am a little concerned about job prospects, but i believe that a physics degree can provide a great basis for in fact, any field.
I would like to know opinions from experimented person, and if you could specify your current status it would be great. Thanks!

By the way, it's spelled "physics", not "physic". "physic" is a medicine that stimulates evacuation of the bowels.

BiP

Related to Choose Between Physics & Mechanical Engineering: Advice from Experienced People

1. What is the main difference between Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe. On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering is an applied science that uses the principles of physics and mathematics to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems. It involves the practical application of scientific knowledge to solve real-world problems.

2. Which field has better job opportunities?

Both Physics and Mechanical Engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. Physics graduates can work in research and development, education, finance, and many other industries. Mechanical Engineering graduates can work in various fields, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills, as both fields have high demand and offer competitive salaries.

3. What skills are required to excel in Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

To excel in Physics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. It is also essential to have a curious and analytical mind and good problem-solving skills. In Mechanical Engineering, in addition to a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, practical skills such as design, computer-aided drafting, and hands-on experience with machinery are crucial.

4. Is it possible to pursue both Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both fields simultaneously, but it may require a longer time to complete your studies. Some universities offer joint degree programs in Physics and Mechanical Engineering, which can provide a well-rounded education in both disciplines. However, it is essential to carefully consider the workload and your interests before deciding to pursue a double major.

5. Which field is more suitable for someone interested in research?

Physics is generally considered more suitable for those interested in research, as it is a pure science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws of nature. However, Mechanical Engineering also offers opportunities for research, particularly in areas such as material science, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. It ultimately depends on your specific research interests and career goals.