Choose Physics or Mathematics for University?

In summary: So in summary, it's important to really think about what you want to spend your time studying and then choose a program that fits your interests and goals. In summary, it is important to carefully consider your interests and goals when choosing between studying physics or mathematics in university. While you may be drawn to the theoretical physics described in popular science books, it is important to note that these often contain misconceptions and oversimplifications. A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for pursuing theoretical physics, so it is important to consider whether you prefer deriving laws of nature or exploring the world of pure mathematics. Both options are viable, and dual degree programs are available. Keep in mind that university-level physics is more thorough and in-depth than high school physics. Regardless
PPHT123
I don't know wether I should choose physics or mathematics in University. I'm very interested in theoretical physics described in those popular science books such as the string theory ,QED, relativity , and I want to become a theoretical physicist. But I'm not impressed by the physics taught in high school and I think some of the questions are tedious(I like how the formula is derived though). However I enjoyed pure mathematics. I'd love to spend time on thinking new ideas. I know that being a theoretical physicist needs a lot of mathematical knowledge, should I study maths first then transfer to physics after I have finished maths, or just physics/Math as there is no dual degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
PPHT123 said:
I don't know wether I should choose physics or mathematics in University. I'm very interested in theoretical physics described in those popular science books such as the string theory ,QED, relativity , and I want to become a theoretical physicist. But I'm not impressed by the physics taught in high school and I think some of the questions are tedious(I like how the formula is derived though). However I enjoyed pure mathematics. I'd love to spend time on thinking new ideas. I know that being a theoretical physicist needs a lot of mathematical knowledge, should I study maths first then transfer to physics after I have finished maths, or just physics/Math as there is no dual degree.

You must choose what you find most interesting and what you are willing to spend your time for study. You can't see the beauty of Theoretical Physics through popsci books, as these have a lot of misconceptions, oversimplifications and magic in them. You'll definitely need a lot of good math skills in order to follow the path of Theoretical Physics. Question is, do you like to derive the laws of nature in a rigorous way or you find more interesting wandering through the fascinating world of math? You can start from this and make up your mind along the way.

Likes PPHT123
I was actually in a similar situation. I was interested in both maths and theoretical physics. But when if I did maths, I wanted to choose a course which have physics optional modules (as many math courses in fact do). I applied to universities in both mathematics and theoretical physics. I ended up with only one choice because of grades, so I did theoretical physics.

Now looking back although it was somewhat disappointing, since I didn't have much of a choice, I enjoyed my course anyway. I definitely did some additional mathematics as self-study which they didn't cover enough of the material. But again you can also take a maths course and go into physics.

In my honest opinion, both options are viable (and so is Physics\Maths, as it will probably give you more flexibility). If choosing physics, you will get some of the physics knowledge early on which can provide great motivation for what you want to do in the future. If choosing maths, it will take longer for you to see the physical applications. You might even get into research into pure mathematics, which can be very interesting in my opinion.

It is no doubt that the choice will shape your thinking and motivation in the future, as well as your choices.

Also, you should take into account an important point: theoretical physics is not just applied maths. This means that if you choose maths and want to go into physics later, you still have to work hard to learn physics subjects. A solid foundation in both physics and mathematics is essential for anyone who wishes to become a good theoretical physicist, as argued by t'Hooft in http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html.

Likes PPHT123
  • Dual degree for Mathematics and Physics exists.
  • Physics taught in college or university is better than in high school, because the subject is more thorough, deeper.
  • One must solve problems and answer questions no matter if the goal is "theoretical" , experimental, or applied.
  • Physics people make very detailed use of Mathematics.
  • Physics and Mathematics people must handle some very tedious, detailed questions.

You could change your mind when you find that solving problems is very powerful.

Likes Timo, PPHT123 and QuantumQuest
PPHT123 said:
...as there is no dual degree

It looks like Symbolipoint beat me to it, but there are a lot of universities that allow you to double major in these subjects. Sometimes what I've observed is that students get their heart set on a particular school for one reason or another - location, cost, prestige, family pressure etc. and then they try to match a program at the school to what they really want. But really, this always seems a little backwards to me. The point of attending university is to educate yourself in a direction of your choosing. So it makes more sense to figure out that you really want to learn and then choose a school that offers it and develop a plan for attending.

The other thing worth mentioning is that you don't have to make a precise choice in your first year in most programs anyway - depending on where you are. (My experience is with North American programs - Canadian ones in particular.) The first year of a physics or mathematics program is pretty uniform - at least to the point where if you choose one direction and end up wanting to chance you can do so without much of (or any) penalty.

Likes QuantumQuest and PPHT123

1. Should I choose physics or mathematics for university?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy problem-solving and have a strong foundation in math, physics may be a good fit for you. If you prefer abstract thinking and theoretical concepts, mathematics may be a better choice. Consider researching the curriculum and career opportunities for both majors to make an informed decision.

2. What are the differences between studying physics and mathematics at university?

While both subjects involve a lot of math, physics is more focused on understanding the physical world and applying mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems. Mathematics, on the other hand, is more theoretical and abstract, with a focus on developing and proving mathematical principles and theories.

3. Will studying physics or mathematics at university lead to a successful career?

Both physics and mathematics are highly valued and in-demand fields. Graduates from these programs often go on to have successful careers in fields such as engineering, finance, technology, and research. However, success depends on many factors such as individual skills, experience, and market demand.

4. Can I study both physics and mathematics at university?

Yes, many universities offer joint or interdisciplinary programs that allow students to study both subjects simultaneously. This can provide a well-rounded education and open up more career opportunities. However, keep in mind that this may require a heavier course load and strong time management skills.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites I need to have to study physics or mathematics at university?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for both subjects. It's also helpful to have critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong interest in the subject matter. Some universities may have specific prerequisites for their programs, so be sure to check the requirements before applying.