1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Choosing a capacitor based on desired output pulse

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    Hi folks,
    I need to get a super capacitor which will be charged by a car battery and then connected to let out a massive pulse. (Yes a bigger pulse than my 450CCA battery can give). But first I need to work out how much capacitance will be needed. I'm not sure of the formula.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Well I suppose you need Q = CV the charge stored is the capacitance x voltage
    and I t = Q the current x time for your pulse is the amount of charge needed.
    (Edit: or for varying current Q = integral I dt )
    Though you will need to think about the fall of voltage during discharge, as only the difference in charge between the starting and finishing voltage, will be available.
    Maybe some figures for your requirements (and description of task?) would be useful for people trying to help?

I have no special knowledge nor experience of super capacitors, so I don't know what their internal resistance is, nor whether there are any other limits on their discharge rate. (I assume you are looking at a very short pulse here?)

Edit: Link here to Sizing an Ultracapacitor for your needs

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  4. Jan 4, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The amount of current you are asking about is potentially lethal. Your design should be discussed in detail with a licensed engineer.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook