Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a generator for mini wind turbine

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    Hello physics forum,
    I am currently trying to figure out how to pick a generator for a horizontal axis mini wind turbine based on specs. I plan on buying a DC motor to use as a generator with blades directly attached to motor shaft. My goal is for the motor to be most efficient at 25mph wind speed, but also be able to generate power at lower wind speeds.

Diameter of blades: 6"
    Wind speed from 0 to 25mph

My calculations so far:
    Max power = 9 watts @25mph wind speed w/ perfectly efficient blade using equation: P=0.5*0.593*ρ*A*v^3
    where P is power (W), 0.593 is Betz limit, ρ is air density (kg/m^3), A is swept area of blades (m^2), and v is wind speed (m/s).

Is there any way to approach buying a generator mathematically?
    Some specs sheets on motors I see have voltage/torque/rpm/current@max efficiency, and stall torque/current.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The motor will make the blades spin slower than the same conditions without the blades.
    You want to assess how much the motor with load the blades against he sort of winds you expect to operate in.

The motor ratings are for driving the motor.

Also see:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=435164

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook