Choosing a Solenoid for A2 Level Product Design

• Thread starter ildottorebard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a workstand for a bicycle that includes a ratchet and pawl mechanism, with the pawl being pushed by a solenoid. The weight of the bike is 12.1kg and the materials used for the ratchet wheel and pawl are nylon and aluminum, respectively. The person is unsure if the solenoid they found online is strong enough for their application and asks for advice on solenoid types and determining the necessary current for the mechanism.
ildottorebard
I am doing A2 Level Product Design (as well as Physics obviously ) and I am making a workstand for a bicycle. It involves a ratchet and pawl mechanism which will be locked out by a solenoid acting on the pawl.

The bike weighs roughly 12.1kg and the ratchet wheel from nylon. The pawl is aluminium and will be pushed into the ratchet by the slug protruding from the solenoid.

I do not have any idea as to whether this solenoid will be strong enough, so please could someone let me know if it is?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-frame-solenoid/2500704/

If not, is there any particular size I should be looking for? Also, can anyone explain the difference between the difference between linear, rotary, tubular, c frame and d frame solenoids? One last question, how do I determine the current needed to lock the ratchet in place.

If any of those questions could be answered I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Dom.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't really understand your application, but solenoids are rated to provide a certain push / pull force. Do a little calc and figure out what you need. The one you linked to, for example, provides 150 gram force with a 5mm stroke.

1. What is a solenoid and how does it work?

A solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field pulls or pushes a plunger or armature, causing the solenoid to move.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size of a solenoid for my product design?

The size of a solenoid is determined by its stroke length, diameter, and force output. These factors should be chosen based on the specific application and the required movement and force needed. It is important to also consider the power source and voltage requirements when selecting the size of a solenoid for your product design.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a solenoid for a product design?

In addition to size, other important factors to consider when choosing a solenoid for a product design include the required force and speed, the duty cycle, and the operating environment. It is also important to consider the lifespan and reliability of the solenoid, as well as any special features that may be needed.

4. Can I use any type of solenoid for my product design?

No, it is important to choose a solenoid that is specifically designed for your product's application. Some common types of solenoids include push-pull, linear, rotary, and proportional solenoids, each with their own unique characteristics and functions. It is recommended to consult with a solenoid expert to determine the best type for your product design.

5. How do I ensure the solenoid will integrate well with my product design?

Before choosing a solenoid, it is important to thoroughly understand the requirements and specifications of your product design. This will help in selecting a solenoid that is the right size and type, and can be easily integrated into your product. It is also recommended to test the solenoid in a prototype of your product design to ensure proper functioning and compatibility.