Choosing Between 349382 Different Majors

• Programs
  • Thread starter kerfuffle2017
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a rising college freshman seeking advice on narrowing down their potential majors, which include physics, nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, materials science/engineering, aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, and chemistry/chemical engineering. Their career goal is to be involved in some kind of innovation involving physical things. They are struggling with the overlap between different fields and are seeking personal experiences and advice from others in different majors. The advice given is to start with a broad major such as mechanical or electrical engineering and to keep an open mind, as it is common for students to change their major after exposure to different courses and experiences. Engineering is viewed as a versatile and marketable degree, and the person sharing their own experience wishes they had chosen engineering instead
kerfuffle2017
Hey guys, first post here. Anyway, I was hoping you lovely people could help me narrow down what I want to major in, because right now I'm sort of overwhelmed by the options.

So for some background I'm a rising college freshman, and my school has strong departments/research opportunities in all these fields. Here's a list, in (kind of) preference order, of majors I'm thinking about.

Physics
Nuclear Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Materials Science/Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Chemistry/Chemical Engineering

Basically every kind of engineering and science... Which I would really like to get narrowed down so I can start focusing on my course schedule etc.

And my final career goal is to be involved in some kind of innovation, relevant to a lot of people, involving physical things (not computer software/websites/apps/etc). Yes I know, I have very specific goals... Not astronomy or string theory or math because that's too theoretical. Also not comp sci because that doesn't have the kind of impact I'm looking for. Not medicine/bio either.

My main issue in looking at these things right now is that every single field seems to overlap with every other field, so even if I did know what I wanted to study I would still be confused.

If you all wouldn't mind sharing what you personally majored in, what your career is/will be, why it interests you, what is happening in these fields right now... stuff like that, it would be invaluable to me. And sorry this thread is so broad. But really and info/advice you can share would be wonderful! Or even just links to relevant sites or whatever.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say just choose the broadest one to start (maybe mechanical or electrical) and by the end of your second semester, you should have a much better idea of where your interests lie. The first year will essentially be identical between all of your choices. I was like you starting out, many interests, and started in engineering. I ended up switching to physics after my first year and didn't lose any ground. It really is not a big deal to switch around once you are there... it took me maybe 10 minutes of filling out paperwork and another 10 minutes to hand in the papers to officially change my major.

It will be very difficult to know without a doubt what you want to do before you get the exposure in your classes. I was like you and wanted to plan out my whole 4 year plan (and career) before I even stepped foot on campus, and while good in some ways, it was a mostly HUGE waste of energy. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted and after a semester or two found other things that interested me more. It wasn't until after getting exposed to certain classes and getting involved with research that I realized what I really wanted to do (and not do). So just relax and focus on enjoying your classes and LEARNING, and in the process do some soul searching to figure out what it is that gets you fired up.

In most places I know, when you get into engineering the first year (or 2) is filled with introductory courses of all the engineering disciplines. That should give you enough of an idea of what you will want to graduate with. If after those first couple of years you still want to deal with more "physics" side of things, changing from a engineering major to a physics should be quite doable.

An engineering degree is very marketable. If you're interested in hands-on physical things, that's the way to go. Mechanical engineering is versatile and broad. You should strongly consider it.

But the first two years of science and engineering majors are very similar so you won't have to make up your mind right away. Get involved in engineering clubs, so you can work on the kinds of problems engineers typically work on.

Since you asked, I majored in physics, but I just have a bachelor's. I run a small chemistry lab. If I could do things over, I surely would have chosen engineering over physics. The nicest thing to have in life? Options :smile:.

Thanks for the responses! The thing is, at my school, I only have to take general requirements for about the 1st semester (I have some AP credit), and after that all majors have separate classes in their specific department, as far as I can tell. But I guess I can just take intro classes to a couple different majors and keep an open mind.

One thing you could do to help with the decision is to start looking at the specific courses you would be taking in each major and maybe start with a list of courses that you'd really prefer to take. Then figure out the major that best fits your desired courses rather than the other way around.

What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a major include your interests, skills, strengths, career goals, and job market demand for the chosen major.

How can I explore different majors to find the right one for me?

You can explore different majors by taking classes in various subjects, talking to professors and students in different majors, participating in internships or job shadowing, and researching online resources.

What if I am interested in multiple majors? Can I double major or have a minor?

It is possible to double major or have a minor in addition to your main major. However, it is important to carefully consider the workload and time commitment of each major to ensure you can handle it successfully.

Will my choice of major determine my career path?

Your choice of major can influence your career path, but it does not necessarily determine it. Many careers are open to individuals with a variety of majors, and your skills and experience can also play a significant role in your career path.

What if I choose the wrong major? Can I change it later?

It is not uncommon for students to change their major during their college career. If you find that your chosen major is not the right fit for you, it is possible to change it. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and any necessary course retakes.