Choosing Engineering Program (UNDERGRADUATE)

In summary, the speaker is a recent A level graduate looking to apply for an Engineering program in Canada, but is unsure about which program to choose due to their interest in both Civil and Mechanical Engineering, and their weak drawing skills. They are wondering if having poor drawing skills would be a problem in Civil Engineering, but it is likely that the first year of the program will be general and not require a specific discipline. The speaker also mentions that most drawings are now done on a computer rather than by hand.
shayekh-arjan
I just completed my A level and I want to get admitted myself in the Engineering Undergraduate Program in Canada. But now I am in a fix in chosing which Engineering program I should apply for. I am pretty interested in Civil as well as in Mechanical Engineering. But my main problem is I am weak at drawing skills. So in Civil and Mechanical Engineering do it really need a good skill at drawing part? Because, I have come to know from the Universities' curriculum that Civil Engineering involves a lot of drawing for making structural design. In this respect, my question is HAVING A POOR SKILL IN DRAWING WILL IT BE WISE TO TAKE THE CIVIL ENGINEERING?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely your first year will be a general one, ie, you shouldn't have to worry about choosing a discipline yet.

Most diagrams I've had to draw in my limited experience, have been Free Body Diagrams, and those are more like sketches than anything. As long as you make them neat, you should be fine.

Most drawings are made via computer nowadays anyway. CAD, ProEng, etc.

1. What are the different types of engineering programs available for undergraduate students?

There are several types of engineering programs offered at the undergraduate level, including mechanical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each of these programs focuses on a specific aspect of engineering and prepares students for different career paths.

2. How do I choose the right engineering program for me?

When choosing an engineering program, consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research the different programs available and their curriculum to determine which one aligns best with your interests and goals. It is also helpful to speak with current students and professionals in the field to gain insight and advice.

3. What should I look for in a good engineering program?

A good engineering program should have a strong curriculum that covers the fundamentals of engineering and offers opportunities for practical application through hands-on projects or internships. It should also have qualified and experienced faculty, state-of-the-art facilities and resources, and a good reputation in the industry.

4. Is it better to choose a specialized engineering program or a general one?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. Specialized engineering programs focus on a specific area of engineering, which can be beneficial if you have a clear career path in mind. On the other hand, general engineering programs provide a broad foundation and allow for more flexibility in choosing a specific field of engineering later on.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an engineering program include the program's accreditation, job placement rates, opportunities for research and internships, the size and location of the school, and the overall cost and financial aid options. It is also important to consider the school's culture and community to ensure a good fit for your personal and academic needs.