Choosing the Resistance in a Photoconductive Circuit

In summary, the resistor and capacitor in the circuit should be chosen based on the diode's breakdown voltage and the photoconductive mode chosen. The resistor should be large enough to not fry the diode, and the capacitor should be chosen to minimize the RC time constant.
Higgy

Homework Statement

What should I choose for the resistor [itex]R_{F}[/itex] and capacitor [itex]C_{F}[/itex] in this circuit?

Photocond1.jpg

I have an unmounted silicon photodiode, with specs:

Reverse Voltage = 100 [itex]V[/itex]
Short Circuit Current = 50 [itex]\mu A[/itex] (typical)
Dark Current = 0.5 [itex]n A[/itex] (typical), 1.0 [itex]n A[/itex] (max)
Shunt Resistance = 250 [itex]M \Omega[/itex] (min), 500 [itex]M \Omega[/itex] (typical)
Junction Capacitance = 8 [itex]pF[/itex] (typical)
Breakdown Voltage = 75 [itex]V[/itex] (typical)

I'm trying to figure out how to properly use it. Laser light from an ~800nm diode laser will be incident on it, and I would like to view its output signal on an oscilloscope via a BNC coaxial cable.

I've learned that I can operate the photodiode in "photovoltaic mode", where there is zero bias and low dark current, but slow response time, or "photoconductive mode", where there is a negative bias and fast response time, but higher dark current.

Due to the circumstances of my experiment, I'm choosing to go with "photoconductive mode". Hence, the above circuit has a negative bias. I got it from AP Technologies website, where I also saw some useful formulas:

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{OUT} = I_{S} R_{F}[/tex]

where [itex]I_{S}[/itex] is the photodiode light signal current and [itex]R_{F}[/itex] is the feedback resistance.

[tex]C_{F} = \frac{1}{2} \pi f R_{F}[/tex]

where [itex]C_{F}[/itex] is the feedback capacitance and [itex]f[/itex] is the maximum operating frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I'm just not sure what to use for values for calculating the resistance and capacitance needed. I've searched around online, and even though I've found some useful documents on this, I'm still left with two questions:

1. How large of a resistor do I need to not fry the diode?

2. What capacitor should I use? What is the "maximum operational frequency" referring to? Is it related to the RC time constant, or to the frequency of the incident light, etc?

My naive guess for the first one would be to use [itex]V_{OUT} \sim 10 V[/itex] and [itex]I_{S} \sim 10 \mu A[/itex] so that

[tex]R_{F} = \frac{10 V}{10 \mu A} = 1 M \Omega[/tex]

That's big, though!

Physics news on Phys.org
RF will depend on what current you expect for IS, and how much signal you would like to have. IS will depend on the amount of power from the diode beam hitting the photodiode's active area. You might take 1V as a reasonable signal level.

This circuit might work fine with no capacitor CF. But if you use one, the question to answer is how fast must the output signal respond? Choose CF so that the RC time constant is 1/3 of that time or less.

Redbelly98 said:
RF will depend on what current you expect for IS, and how much signal you would like to have. IS will depend on the amount of power from the diode beam hitting the photodiode's active area. You might take 1V as a reasonable signal level.

This circuit might work fine with no capacitor CF. But if you use one, the question to answer is how fast must the output signal respond? Choose CF so that the RC time constant is 1/3 of that time or less.

Thanks Redbelly98. Ignoring the capacitor, then, I'm still slightly confused as to what 'spec' value I should be looking at to help me choose a resistor that would not fry the diode.

Maybe my concern is unwarranted. In reverse-biasing the diode, we're not causing additional current flow through the diode, we're just setting up a potential difference, and the result is more output current from the photodiode? And it's current that would, in my words, "fry" the photodiode.

Since the capacitor-free circuit would just be an inverting amplifier, for which:

[tex]V_{out} = - \frac{R_{F}}{R_{D}} V_{in}[/tex]

where [itex]R_{D}[/itex] is the resistance of the diode, then with Ohm's law we could write:

[tex]I_{S} R_{D} = -\frac{R_{D}}{R_{F}} V_{out} \rightarrow R_{F} = -\frac{V_{out}}{I_{S}}[/tex]

and with [itex]I_{S} = 50 \mu A[/itex] and [itex]V_{out} = 1 V[/itex] we have

[tex]R_{F} = 50 M \Omega[/tex]

Is that roughly the right way to think about it?

1V / 50 μA is 20kΩ, not 50MΩ. 20kΩ sounds reasonable.

Forget about "resistance of the diode", instead think in terms of diode current. Actually, this is essentially what you are doing since your RD terms canceled out of the equation.

The photodiode is essentially a current source here. At 800 nm, it can generate 0.5-1.0 Amps per Watt of optical power. To generate 50 μA, it would be receiving 50-100 μW from the laser. This should not hurt the photodiode.

I'll also suggest building a preliminary circuit and experimenting to find the right resistor value. No op-amp, just a loop circuit containing the photodiode, biasing voltage, and resistor. A simple 1.5V battery (or two of them) can be used for bias. Then try different resistor values until you get a volt or so of signal across the resistor.

p.s. if the resistor voltage is close to or larger than the bias voltage, then you are saturating the photodiode. Increase the bias voltage or reduce the resistor so that the resistor voltage is less than the bias.

p.p.s. For really fast-changing signals, say in the RF frequency range (several ns or faster), it is common practice to use a 50Ω resistor with the photodiode, and then use amplifiers to amplify the voltage across the 50Ω resistor.

Redbelly98 said:
1V / 50 μA is 20kΩ, not 50MΩ. 20kΩ sounds reasonable.
Oops. Right, that makes more sense.

Redbelly98 said:
Forget about "resistance of the diode", instead think in terms of diode current. Actually, this is essentially what you are doing since your RD terms canceled out of the equation.

The photodiode is essentially a current source here. At 800 nm, it can generate 0.5-1.0 Amps per Watt of optical power. To generate 50 μA, it would be receiving 50-100 μW from the laser. This should not hurt the photodiode.

I'll also suggest building a preliminary circuit and experimenting to find the right resistor value. No op-amp, just a loop circuit containing the photodiode, biasing voltage, and resistor. A simple 1.5V battery (or two of them) can be used for bias. Then try different resistor values until you get a volt or so of signal across the resistor.

p.s. if the resistor voltage is close to or larger than the bias voltage, then you are saturating the photodiode. Increase the bias voltage or reduce the resistor so that the resistor voltage is less than the bias.

p.p.s. For really fast-changing signals, say in the RF frequency range (several ns or faster), it is common practice to use a 50Ω resistor with the photodiode, and then use amplifiers to amplify the voltage across the 50Ω resistor.

Thanks! This really clears things up. I'll try your suggestion of circuit-sans-op-amp, and go from there.

1. What is a photoconductive circuit?

A photoconductive circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a light-sensitive material, known as a photoconductive material, to control the flow of electricity. When light is shined on the material, its conductivity increases, allowing more current to pass through the circuit.

2. Why is it important to choose the right resistance in a photoconductive circuit?

The resistance in a photoconductive circuit directly affects how much current can flow through the circuit. Choosing the right resistance is important because it determines the sensitivity of the circuit to changes in light levels. Too low of a resistance can result in too much current, which can damage the circuit, while too high of a resistance can make the circuit less sensitive to light.

3. How do I determine the appropriate resistance for a photoconductive circuit?

The appropriate resistance for a photoconductive circuit can be determined by considering the desired sensitivity and the characteristics of the photoconductive material being used. It is also important to consider the overall design and purpose of the circuit. A higher resistance will result in a more sensitive circuit, while a lower resistance will result in a less sensitive circuit.

4. What are some common types of photoconductive materials used in circuits?

Some common types of photoconductive materials used in circuits include cadmium sulfide (CdS), lead sulfide (PbS), and silicon (Si). These materials have different properties and are suitable for different applications. For example, CdS is commonly used in light sensors, while Si is often used in solar cells.

5. Can the resistance in a photoconductive circuit be adjusted?

Yes, the resistance in a photoconductive circuit can be adjusted by using a variable resistor or by changing the length or thickness of the photoconductive material. This allows for fine-tuning of the circuit's sensitivity and can be useful in different lighting conditions or for different applications.