Choosing the right university course

In summary, the 17 year old is considering two possible universities to attend in the UK, chemistry and chemical engineering. They are unsure which one to choose because they think that there are pros and cons to both. They want to ensure a good future for themselves, and think that a degree in chemistry with the addition of calculus is a good option. However, they are not sure if they want to spend 4 years studying for a degree.
Bladibla
I'm currently a 17 year old trying to apply for various universities in the UK, looking at various factors like job prospects, interests to choose a subject to study.

I'm currently looking at two possibilities: either chemistry or chemical engineering.

This is where the 'problem' comes in for me. i consider myself quite interested in theoretical chemistry in general, but also interested in ensuring a future in job prospects. This is where the 'interest; in chemical engineering came in.

I have seen a lot of people mention that you shouldn't go into science just for money. I do consider this aspect, but i still do not think that a person should be just following his dreams blindly i.e. some realism in terms of getting a well paid job, getting a house etc should come in.

I am fairly interested in the application of calculus into chemistry/physics, and although my mathematics isn't exactly top-notch compared to 'further; maths people that are here with me in my school i am willing to work hard to catch up.

Any advice people..?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plan on getting a PhD in Chemistry, then you won't have a problem finding a job.

However, with only a BSc in Chemistry, chances are either you won't find a job, or won't find something you enjoy doing (ie, lab technician, "pipette-master", high school teacher).

So if you enjoy chemistry and plan on going to graduate school, go for it, but if you don't want to spend more than 4 years studying for a degree, then you might have better luck in chm eng.

That being said, you can always switch out later, from one to the other, without losing too much time, since most first-year and second-year classes would be the same.

^Just a question on the phD in chemistry... with that, what career aspects are open to you, besides pharmacy?

research I guess, I am not too up-do-date on chemistry jobs.

Related to Choosing the right university course

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university course?

There are several factors you should consider when choosing a university course, including your interests and passions, your career goals, the reputation and accreditation of the university, the curriculum and course structure, and the availability of resources and support services.

2. How can I determine if a university course is right for me?

To determine if a university course is right for you, it is important to research the course content, speak to current or former students, attend open days or information sessions, and consider any prerequisites or entry requirements. You can also consult with a career counselor or take career assessments to determine if the course aligns with your strengths and interests.

3. What are the benefits of choosing a specialized course over a broad course?

Specialized courses offer in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, making you more competitive in the job market. They also allow you to focus on your interests and passions, potentially leading to greater job satisfaction. However, broad courses offer a wider range of subjects and skills, providing a more well-rounded education.

4. Is it important to consider job prospects when choosing a university course?

Yes, it is important to consider job prospects when choosing a university course. You want to choose a course that will lead to a fulfilling and successful career. Research the job market and potential career paths for the course you are interested in, and consider the demand for graduates in that field.

5. Can I change my university course if I realize it is not the right fit?

Yes, most universities allow students to change their course if they realize it is not the right fit. However, this may depend on the availability of spots in the desired course and any prerequisites or entry requirements. It is important to discuss your options with an academic advisor or counselor before making any changes.