Christmas and commercialization

I think Jesus would throw up if he were ever to see what a joke holiday Christmas has turned into.

I think Jesus would throw up if he were ever to see what a joke holiday Christmas has turned into.
It's still a wonderful time for families to get together.

Evo
Mentor
Christmas was invented hundreds of years after his birth to replace a pagan holiday, I think he would have been appalled that it would have been invented period.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Christmas was invented hundreds of years after his birth to replace a pagan holiday, I think he would have been appalled that it would have been invented period.
Or maybe he would have enjoyed the big birthday bash thrown for him every year! He was always the life of the party, making sure the wine never ran out. :biggrin:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Or maybe he would have enjoyed the big birthday bash thrown for him every year!
I guess, he would, if he wasn't picky about the fact that Dec 25 wasn't really his birthday!

He was always the life of the party, making sure the wine never ran out. :biggrin:
I wonder what wines (i.e., grapes) were popular at the time? All the paintings I've seen show reds (and the water-to-wine miracle suggests a red wine), which is a not a bad thing, if they were drinking it with beef or lamb. But is there any historical mention of the kind of wine drunk? I would really be quite dismayed to find that they were having their burgers cooked rare with a glass of sauvignon blanc! :yuck: Oh wait...they didn't have refrigerators at the time - that rules out most white and blush wines! <phew>

I also wonder what Jesus' favorite wine was. If I could turn water to wine, I'd probably make myself a nice, full-bodied cabernet with a hint of oak. What wine did Jesus choose to make for the wedding party?

Last edited:
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wonder what wines (i.e., grapes) were popular at the time? All the paintings I've seen show reds (and the water-to-wine miracle suggests a red wine), which is a not a bad thing, if they were drinking it with beef or lamb. But is there any historical mention of the kind of wine drunk? I would really be quite dismayed to find that they were having their burgers cooked rare with a glass of sauvignon blanc! :yuck:
hmm...There seems to be some debate over whether lamb or fish was served at the last supper.
http://www.lisashea.com/hobbies/art/passover.html
I also wonder what Jesus' favorite wine was. If I could turn water to wine, I'd probably make myself a nice, full-bodied cabernet with a hint of oak. What wine did Jesus choose to make for the wedding party?
I bet it was something nicer than two-buck Chuck from Trader Joe's.