1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle and Polygon Properties

1. Apr 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i41.tinypic.com/35mno6v.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I found out that angle 4 and 5 is 55, because angle D is 110.. but I don't know if that's right. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Angle BDA is 110 degrees, because angle 1 is 70 degrees. Angles 4 and 5 are equal, because triangle BDA is isosceles. Angles 4, 5 and BDA have to add to 180 degrees, which they don't do if angles 4 and 5 are 55 degrees each.

4. Apr 27, 2009 #3
    What about angle 2 and 3? My answer was 55 for both of them..

5. Apr 27, 2009 #4

Mark44

Those would be correct if triangle BCD is isosceles, with BD = CD. Can you establish that equality somehow?

6. Apr 27, 2009 #5
    Hmm, I suppose I can't. Now I've hit the bricks, I don't know how to figure it out.

7. Apr 28, 2009 #6

Mark44

Is there any other information given in this problem, such as at the top of the set of problems?

One thing I haven't used is the statement that AB is tangent at B. I don't understand why this is significant or how it ties into this problem.

8. Apr 30, 2009 #7
    Once you have angle 4/5 you can easily figure out 2 using inscribed angles and angles formed by tangents.

9. May 4, 2009 #8
    It is significant because an angle formed by a chord and a tangent to a circle is half the arc it intercepts. Angles 2 and 4 are inscribed angles that intercept the same arc, so they are congruent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook