Circle and Polygon Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the measures of angles 4, 5, 2, and 3 in a given diagram using properties of isosceles triangles and inscribed angles. The tangent line at point B is also mentioned as a significant factor in solving the problem.
Turquoise

Homework Statement

http://i41.tinypic.com/35mno6v.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution
So far, I found out that angle 4 and 5 is 55, because angle D is 110.. but I don't know if that's right. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Angle BDA is 110 degrees, because angle 1 is 70 degrees. Angles 4 and 5 are equal, because triangle BDA is isosceles. Angles 4, 5 and BDA have to add to 180 degrees, which they don't do if angles 4 and 5 are 55 degrees each.

What about angle 2 and 3? My answer was 55 for both of them..

Those would be correct if triangle BCD is isosceles, with BD = CD. Can you establish that equality somehow?

Hmm, I suppose I can't. Now I've hit the bricks, I don't know how to figure it out.

Is there any other information given in this problem, such as at the top of the set of problems?

One thing I haven't used is the statement that AB is tangent at B. I don't understand why this is significant or how it ties into this problem.

Once you have angle 4/5 you can easily figure out 2 using inscribed angles and angles formed by tangents.

Mark44 said:
One thing I haven't used is the statement that AB is tangent at B. I don't understand why this is significant or how it ties into this problem.

It is significant because an angle formed by a chord and a tangent to a circle is half the arc it intercepts. Angles 2 and 4 are inscribed angles that intercept the same arc, so they are congruent.

1. What is a circle?

A circle is a two-dimensional shape that is formed by a collection of points that are all equidistant from a center point. It is a closed shape with no corners or edges.

2. What is the formula for calculating the area of a circle?

The formula for calculating the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. π (pi) is a constant value of approximately 3.14.

3. How do you find the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle is the distance around its edge. It can be calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle. Again, π (pi) is a constant value of approximately 3.14.

4. What is the difference between a regular polygon and an irregular polygon?

A regular polygon is a polygon with all sides and angles equal. An irregular polygon is a polygon with sides and angles that are not all equal. Regular polygons are typically named by the number of sides they have, such as a triangle (3 sides), square (4 sides), or pentagon (5 sides).

5. How do you determine the interior angles of a polygon?

The sum of the interior angles of a polygon is determined by the formula (n-2)180°, where n is the number of sides of the polygon. To find the measure of each angle, divide the sum by the number of angles in the polygon.