Circuit Analysis for Power Transmission Network Question

In summary: If you expand VI* then:##V I^* = |V||I| \angle \phi = |V||I| cos(\phi) + j|V||I| sin(\phi)##But this is just the sum of the real and imaginary power P + jQ.
Constantinos
Hey!

Below you will find a piece of text I found on a paper. There are some things I don't get, perhaps you could help me.

What it means for the network to be lossless?
Also, why is the power flow equal to Re[Vi(t) Ii,k(t)*] and not outright Vi(t)*Ii,k(t) ? Why the complex conjugate?

I get the math, but not the definitions really!

attachment.php?attachmentid=46400&stc=1&d=1334832268.jpg

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
A lossless network contains no resistances, so no real energy can be lost by that network (remember that reactances only store and release energy without loss).

The complex conjugate of the current is used in order to get the phosor angle correct for the power. It has to do with how phasors are multiplied.

Suppose:
##V = |V| \angle \phi_v##
##I = |I| \angle \phi_i ##

Multiplying:
##V I = |V||I| \angle \phi_v + \phi_i##

However, for the power we should have the angle corresponding to the power factor:

##\phi_v - \phi_i = \phi~~~~##

So we need to invert the sign of the current angle, hence the complex conjugate is taken.

gneill said:
A lossless network contains no resistances, so no real energy can be lost by that network (remember that reactances only store and release energy without loss).

Ah yes I see, having susceptance means it also has reactance (I forgot about that).

gneill said:
The complex conjugate of the current is used in order to get the phosor angle correct for the power. It has to do with how phasors are multiplied.

Suppose:
##V = |V| \angle \phi_v##
##I = |I| \angle \phi_i ##

Multiplying:
##V I = |V||I| \angle \phi_v + \phi_i##

However, for the power we should have the angle corresponding to the power factor:

##\phi_v - \phi_i = \phi~~~~##

So we need to invert the sign of the current angle, hence the complex conjugate is taken.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would we need the angle of the power factor and not the angle of power itself? By power factor I assume you mean this correct?

Constantinos said:
I'm not sure I understand. Why would we need the angle of the power factor and not the angle of power itself? By power factor I assume you mean this correct?

If you expand VI* then:

##V I^* = |V||I| \angle \phi = |V||I| cos(\phi) + j|V||I| sin(\phi)##

But this is just the sum of the real and imaginary power P + jQ.

##VI^* = P + jQ##

Yes I think I get it now, thanks for the clarifications!

1. What is circuit analysis for power transmission network?

Circuit analysis for power transmission network is a method used by engineers and scientists to study the behavior and performance of electrical circuits in power transmission systems. It involves the use of mathematical and scientific principles to analyze and understand the flow of electricity in a network of interconnected components.

2. Why is circuit analysis important for power transmission networks?

Circuit analysis is important for power transmission networks because it allows engineers to predict and prevent potential problems, such as voltage drops, power losses, and overloading. It also helps in designing efficient and reliable power transmission systems.

3. What are the main components of a power transmission network?

The main components of a power transmission network include generators, transformers, transmission lines, and loads. These components work together to transmit electricity from power plants to consumers.

4. How is circuit analysis for power transmission network performed?

Circuit analysis for power transmission network is typically performed using mathematical techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and Thevenin's theorem. Computer simulation and modeling tools are also commonly used to analyze and optimize the performance of power transmission networks.

5. What are some common challenges in circuit analysis for power transmission network?

Some common challenges in circuit analysis for power transmission network include dealing with high voltages, complex network topologies, and variable load conditions. It also requires accurate data collection and analysis, as well as the use of appropriate tools and techniques to ensure the safety and efficiency of the power transmission system.