1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circuit with Dependent Current Source

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm not sure how to solve this question, the method you're supposed to use is nodal analysis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use KCL at node A, so I have
    Code (Text):

(12-Va)/8 - 3Va =0

Once I solved Va, the current is 3*Va. However, I'm not getting the right answer which is supposed to be -6 A.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The setup makes no sense. You don't connect ammeters in parallel with circuit elements, you connect them in series.

Are you sure this is how the diagram appears in your book?

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    This was on a list of exercise problems from a university website, but ignoring that, how would you find the current through the current source?

5. Jul 9, 2008 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is precicely why the setup makes no sense. If the ammeter truly is reading the current through the current source, then you don't need to calculate the current. You just read it! But that ammeter cannot possibly be reading the current through the current source, because it's connected wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?