Circuits class textbook recommedations?

In summary, the conversation is about a request for a recommendation for a circuits book, as the person has never taken a circuits class and is dissatisfied with their current textbook. The suggested book is "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Sadiku, and another person also recommends "Art of Electronics" as a supplementary text. A helpful thread on the topic is also mentioned.
Miike012
Can anyone recommend a circuits book? And I have never taken a circuits class.
The textbook that my school is reading from is

Basic Engineering Circuit Analysis by J. David Irwin.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FHLIP4/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However the book did not get good reviews so I want to find another book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A Google search had this thread, which may help.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=174586

A vote for Art of Electronics from me too.

Don't be shy of purchasing a really basic level text to supplement it. Having the basics explained in a different way and having examples on those can make the main text easier to use and more effective if you are new to it.

1. What is the best textbook for a circuits class?

The best textbook for a circuits class depends on the specific curriculum and teaching style of the instructor. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "Circuit Analysis: Theory and Practice" by Allan H. Robbins and Wilhelm C. Miller.

2. Are there any free online resources for circuits class?

Yes, there are many free online resources for circuits class, including lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials. Some popular websites for circuits class resources include Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and CircuitLab.

3. Is it necessary to purchase a textbook for a circuits class?

It depends on the instructor's requirements. Some instructors may provide all necessary materials and resources for the class, while others may require students to purchase a textbook. It is best to check with the instructor or the course syllabus for specific requirements.

4. Can I use an older edition of a textbook for a circuits class?

It is possible to use an older edition of a textbook for a circuits class, but it is not recommended. Newer editions often include updated information and may have different problem sets. It is best to use the edition specified by the instructor to ensure you have the most relevant and accurate information.

5. Are there any supplemental resources that can help with understanding circuit concepts?

Yes, there are many supplemental resources available to help with understanding circuit concepts. These include study guides, practice problems, and online simulations. It is also helpful to attend office hours or seek out tutoring if you are struggling with understanding circuit concepts.