Circuits in Upper E&M: Learn Beyond Freshman Physics 2

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of learning about circuits in physics courses. It is mentioned that upper level courses in electromagnetism may cover some aspects of circuits, but may not go into as much depth as a freshman level course. It is also suggested that taking a circuit course may be beneficial for those interested in learning more about circuits. The importance of researching the course curriculum and requirements at one's own university is emphasized.
torquemada
we are learning a lot about circuits in freshman physics 2 - does junior/senior E&M do circuits - or do i need to take a circuit course if i want to learn more about circuits beyond freshman physics 2? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably won't cover much circuits in you're upper level EM class. You win probably learn more about inductance, which is certainly relevant to how inductors work, but you won't be learning as much about circuits as you will in a freshman level class.

In my school we had an electronics lab where we learned more about circuits and built them on jobboards, but i think that is something that depends on what school you're going to.

My best advice, look up the textbook being used for your upper level EM class. It will probably be Griffiths.

I 'think' it's pretty standard to take a lower or upper division lab on circuits. It may be called something like 'Physics Lab I,' or something generic though.

As always, "your mileage may vary" from one university to another. Look at your university's course catalog or website to find out (at least approximately) what your upper-level courses contain.

In junior and senior level E&M courses, circuits are often covered in greater depth and with more complex applications. However, the level of circuit analysis in these courses may vary depending on the specific curriculum and focus of the course. It is possible that a separate circuit course may be required for a more comprehensive understanding of circuits beyond freshman physics 2. I would recommend consulting with your academic advisor or the course syllabus for more information on the specific circuit content covered in upper level E&M courses. Additionally, there may be opportunities for independent study or research projects that delve deeper into circuit analysis within the context of E&M. Keep exploring and expanding your understanding of circuits – it is a fundamental and important aspect of many areas of science and technology.

1. What is the difference between an AC and DC circuit?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a continuously changing direction of current flow, while DC (direct current) circuits have a constant direction of current flow. This results in different behaviors and applications for each type of circuit.

2. How does an inductor affect a circuit?

An inductor resists changes in the flow of current and stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. This can affect the behavior of a circuit by causing a delay in the flow of current or by smoothing out fluctuations in the current.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor stores electric charge and can release it quickly when needed. This allows it to act as a temporary power source, providing energy to the circuit when the main power source is unavailable or unable to keep up with the demand.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding the resistance values of each component in the circuit. For example, if there are three resistors in series with values of 2 ohms, 4 ohms, and 6 ohms, the total resistance would be 12 ohms (2+4+6).

5. What is the difference between an open and closed circuit?

An open circuit is a circuit that is incomplete, meaning there is a gap in the path for the current to flow. This results in no current flow and the circuit not functioning. A closed circuit is a complete circuit, with no gaps, allowing current to flow and the circuit to function properly.