1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular current Loop I don't understand

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    Suppose you want to find the magnetic field at a point p at the z axis from the picture attached.

Attempt to understand this problem:

The way the books solves it is that it says the angle theta between current element i ds and r is 90.
    Then he calculates the integeral which has two parts DB perpendicular and DB parrallel to z axis.
    But now that's my issue didn't we already say that i ds and r is 90 degree with respect to each other?? why do we need now to calculate DB parrallel to z-axis I understand how he did that calculation or why he did this calculation but what I don't understand why did mention at first that ds and r are perpindicular if that's the case wouldn't the answer be only dB = (u0i / 4PI) *( ds /r^2)
    and we didn't need to do anything with the integeral?

I am hoping to understand this coz this thing about r ds being perpinduclar doesn't make sense to me.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2
    The dB vector is perpendicular to both the ds and r vectors. This means that it points at an angle with respect to the vertical axis on which P lies. So what the problem does is resolve it into two components and then try and figure out what the components are for the various current elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted