Circular current Loop I don't understand

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field at a point on the z-axis. The integral has two parts, DB perpendicular and DB parallel to the z-axis. The question arises as to why DB parallel needs to be calculated when it was previously stated that ds and r are perpendicular. The explanation given is that the dB vector is perpendicular to both ds and r, and the problem resolves it into two components in order to determine the components for the current elements.
Genericcoder
Suppose you want to find the magnetic field at a point p at the z axis from the picture attached.

Attempt to understand this problem:

The way the books solves it is that it says the angle theta between current element i ds and r is 90.
Then he calculates the integeral which has two parts DB perpendicular and DB parrallel to z axis.
But now that's my issue didn't we already say that i ds and r is 90 degree with respect to each other?? why do we need now to calculate DB parrallel to z-axis I understand how he did that calculation or why he did this calculation but what I don't understand why did mention at first that ds and r are perpindicular if that's the case wouldn't the answer be only dB = (u0i / 4PI) *( ds /r^2)
and we didn't need to do anything with the integeral?

I am hoping to understand this coz this thing about r ds being perpinduclar doesn't make sense to me.

Attachments

• physics problem at hand.jpg
    physics problem at hand.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
The dB vector is perpendicular to both the ds and r vectors. This means that it points at an angle with respect to the vertical axis on which P lies. So what the problem does is resolve it into two components and then try and figure out what the components are for the various current elements.

1. What is a circular current loop?

A circular current loop is a closed path of electric current that forms a circle or loop shape. It can be created by passing an electric current through a wire bent into a circular shape.

2. How does a circular current loop produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. In a circular current loop, the magnetic fields produced by each segment of the loop combine to create a stronger magnetic field in the center of the loop.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by a circular current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a circular current loop depends on the direction of the electric current flowing through the loop. The right-hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What are some applications of circular current loops?

Circular current loops have several practical applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. They are also used in medical devices, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and in particle accelerators.

5. How does the radius of a circular current loop affect its magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a circular current loop is directly proportional to the radius of the loop. This means that a larger radius will produce a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller radius will produce a weaker magnetic field.