1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion and speed of mass

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    A mass m moves in a horizontal circle of radiuss r inside a frictionless cone of angle 2t. Determine the speed of the mass.

I drew the free body diagram for the mass. Normal force points toward the center in the same direction as the acceleration. Gravity points down.

x) N = m*v^2/r

I don't know why, but gravity is the only force acting in the vertical direction. There is nothing to balance it out.

I know that I will need to use the angle 2t somehow, but I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The NET force will point in the same direction as the acceleration (that's from Newton's 2nd law). The normal force will point normal (perpendicular) to the surface of the cone and thus slightly upwards.

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3
    Yes, thats right. Remember by definition normal force is wel, NORMAL to the surface. You should be able to find it easily now. Weight leads to normal, normal leads to net.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?