Circular Motion and tangential acceleration Problem

In summary: And yes, once you have the total acceleration, you can multiply it by the mass to get the frictional force. In summary, the car starts moving on a circular track with a radius of 100m from rest at t=0. Its tangential acceleration is 0.1m/s2. After 10 seconds, the car has traveled a distance of 5m and has a velocity of 1m/s. To find the frictional force acting on the car at t=10s, the mass of the car (10\sqrt{2}) and the tangential acceleration are used to calculate the tangential velocity and then the frictional force is found by multiplying the total acceleration (found by adding the tangential and
animesh27194
A car starts moving on a circular track of radius 100m from rest at t=0. The tangential acceleration of the car is 0.1m/s2
Then find out the frictional force acting on the car at t=10s. It is given that the car is not skidding during this period and the mass of the car is 10[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

I got that the distance traveled after 10 seconds as 5m and the velocity of the car at the end of 10 seconds as 1m/s

But how do i proceed after that? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by identifying the forces on the car. Also, what is the acceleration of the car?

I treid solving the problem, but I don't know if it is correct...

Using the given tangential acceleration, i found out the distance after 10 seconds and thereby, its velocity.

s = ut+(1/2)at2
s = (1/2)(0.1)(100)
s= 5m

Also, v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = 2(0.1)(5)
Hence, velocity at t=10s is 1m/s

Using this value of v in the formula frictional force = (mv2)/r
Here, m=10[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]
v=1 m/s
r=100m

Solving this, I get fictional force as 0.142 Newton.

Is this right?:redface:

animesh27194 said:
I treid solving the problem, but I don't know if it is correct...

Using the given tangential acceleration, i found out the distance after 10 seconds and thereby, its velocity.

s = ut+(1/2)at2
s = (1/2)(0.1)(100)
s= 5m

Also, v2 = u2 + 2as
v2 = 2(0.1)(5)
Hence, velocity at t=10s is 1m/s
This is correct, but you could have used v=u+at to find the speed of the car a little more directly.
Using this value of v in the formula frictional force = (mv2)/r
Here, m=10[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]
v=1 m/s
r=100m

Solving this, I get fictional force as 0.142 Newton.

Is this right?:redface:
Almost. You've found one component of the frictional force. The tangential acceleration of the car is also the result of friction between the tires and the road.

So, should i add the radial and the tangential acceleration to get the total acceleration?
And I multiply that with the mass of the car to get the frictional force?

Yes, but remember that the components are vectors, so you need to add them vectorially to get the total acceleration.

1. What is circular motion and tangential acceleration?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point. Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of the tangential velocity of an object moving in a circular path.

2. How do you calculate tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula aT = rα, where aT is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is tangent to the circular path, while centripetal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed towards the center of the circular path. They are both necessary for an object to maintain circular motion.

4. How does tangential acceleration affect an object in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration causes a change in the object's tangential velocity, which in turn affects its speed and direction of motion. This acceleration is responsible for the object's motion along the circular path.

5. What factors can affect the magnitude of tangential acceleration?

The magnitude of tangential acceleration can be affected by the radius of the circular path, the angular acceleration, and the object's tangential velocity. It can also be influenced by external forces such as friction or air resistance.