Circular motion problem (A2 level)

In summary, the girl has a net force of 586.57N acting towards the center of the Earth, due to her weight and the contact force between her and the scales.
breen155
Hey, I am having a problem understanding something to do with circular motion, its the last part of a question.

Homework Statement

part 1 - Calculate the angular speed of a girl standing at the equator, i used angular speed = 2pi/(60x60x24) = 7.3x10^-5 rad/s

part 2 - The radius of the Earth is 6400km and the girl has a mass of 60kg, calculate the resultant force on the girl necessary for this circular motion. I used
F=mass x radius x angular speed ^2 and got 2.03N

Part 3 - (The problem part) If the girl was standing on weighing scales calibrated in Newtons, what reading would she get?
I used reading = mg + resultant Force which got me an answer of 590.6N (taking g = 9.81) However the mark scheme stated that i had to take away the resultant force rather than add it, I was just wondering why this was the case? I thought that the force of the girl would be towards the centre of the Earth and therefore must be added rather than taken away :confused:

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
breen155 said:
I thought that the force of the girl would be towards the centre of the Earth and therefore must be added rather than taken away :confused:
The net force on the girl is towards the center of the earth. What individual forces act on the girl?

Hint: If the Earth didn't rotate, the forces on the girl would add to zero: The upward normal force (which is what the scale reads) and the downward gravitational force (mg) would be equal. How does that change when you consider the Earth's rotation?

well the forces acting downwards are her weight and the centripetal force? and upwards is the contact force between her and the scales?

breen155 said:
well the forces acting downwards are her weight
Right.
and the centripetal force?
The "centripetal force" is just the name we give to the net force, not a separate force in itself. The net force is downward, though.
and upwards is the contact force between her and the scales?
Right.

So the two actual forces on her are her weight and the contact force. They must add up to equal the net centripetal force. (Set up that equation.)

so is it Force = weight (mg) - contact force?

breen155 said:
so is it Force = weight (mg) - contact force?
Right! (By "Force" I assume you mean "centripetal force".)

So solve for the contact force. Is it more or less than her weight?

so its (9.81 x 60)-2.03 = 586.57N

breen155 said:
so its (9.81 x 60)-2.03 = 586.57N
Good!

:) oh i get it now, thanks for all the help :)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path. This means that the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant while its direction constantly changes.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed along a circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object changes as it moves along the circular path.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal acceleration in a circular motion problem?

The centripetal acceleration in a circular motion problem is calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directly proportional to the centripetal acceleration, meaning that as the acceleration increases, so does the force needed to keep the object moving in a circle.

5. How do you solve for the velocity or speed in a circular motion problem?

To solve for the velocity or speed in a circular motion problem, you can use the formula v = 2πr/T, where r is the radius of the circular path and T is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution.