1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Civil Engineering Technology/Science questions

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    So i have a bachelors degree in business administration and i feel like that is not enough for the life that i eventually want. so basically i have this this feeling that i should go back to school for a post-baccalaureate degree.
    i have come to the conclusion, since high school really, that i want to study civil engineering.
    i am looking at universities to go to and some of them offer civil engineering tech. i was just wondering what is the main focus of a civil engineering tech?
    basically whats the difference between a tech and a regular engineer?
    one of the universities that i am looking at in pittsburgh only offers a tech and says that they can pursue the same licensure as a normal engineer?
    the program offers alot of the same classes, however as far as calculus goes it only goes up to calcII.

i dont know, im just confused on this whole subject
    any insight to this would be great.
    and if there are any civil engineering techs out there, i would love to hear about your job

phew, and thanks alot anyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    In very general terms, an engineering technology degree is more oriented toward hands-on lab, shop, or field work while an engineering degree is more technical and theoretical.

No offense to people with engineering technology degrees, but I would recommend you pursue a degree in civil engineering. Many companies (right or wrong) will not acknowledge and engineering technology degree for an engineering position.

But if you live and work in Pittsburgh and have no other choice, a civil engineering technology degree would still be valuable.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Registration as a Professional Engineer varies from state to state. However, I looked up Pennsylvania's requirements and found this in their regulations, section 4.2(b)1(ii) regarding the requirements to sit for the EIT exam:

"...eight or more years of progressive experience in engineering work and knowledge, skill and education approximating that attained through graduation from an approved engineering curriculum."

So in theory you don't even need the Engineering Technology degree for the EIT as long as you can document your experience.

Then all EIT licensees need to either teach approved courses or document progressively responsible engineering work for four years.

You can find the gory details here:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta..._0_185581_1059258_0_0_18/EngLSGeo Act 367.pdf

Again, this is only for the state of Pennsylvania. Other states have slightly different regulations. You may find others with more favorable regulations, but you'll then need to apply for reciprocity in the state of Pennsylvania.

In general I agree with edgepflow. Get the four year degree. It will make your application process much easier and the time requirements working at various places shorter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook