Clapper circuit that actually works?

In summary, a person is seeking help in creating a clapper circuit that turns a LED on and off with a clap. They have tried multiple online models, but none have worked for them. They are asking for a link to a model that has actually worked for someone, and are considering buying a commercial one. The conversation also includes tips for troubleshooting and improving the circuit's sensitivity and functionality.
jean28
Hey guys. I've been trying to make a simple clapper circuit that turns a LED on and off, obviously with a clap. I've tried countless models I have found online and none have seemed to work.

Has anyone here used an online model that has actually worked for them? Could anyone give me the link to said model?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Define "works".

Though, to be fair, I don't think I've made one off the internet.

One that actually turns the LED on and off with a clap. None of the models I've tried have done even that.

Intreguing - They are all pretty much comparator circuits and some sort of sensor -
haven't found one that doesn't do it's job. My usual problem is that they are either over-sensitive and go off at the slightest thing or under sensitive and you need to be right near them.

I'd work on understanding the one you've got rather than look for another one ... though you could buy a commercial one and take it apart.

jean28 said:
Hey guys. I've been trying to make a simple clapper circuit that turns a LED on and off, obviously with a clap. I've tried countless models I have found online and none have seemed to work.
What are the URLs for some that you've tried?

NascentOxygen said:
What are the URLs for some that you've tried?

Last edited by a moderator:
jean28 said:

Two of these look like they should work without much trouble. (Skip the one that uses transistors.) Are you wanting it to do anything in particular, or just a demo where you'll learn by construction?

It would be a big help to have a multimeter (voltmeter) on hand while trying to troubleshoot the constructed circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Two of these look like they should work without much trouble. (Skip the one that uses transistors.) Are you wanting it to do anything in particular, or just a demo where you'll learn by construction?

It would be a big help to have a multimeter (voltmeter) on hand while trying to troubleshoot the constructed circuit.

It is actually a project for my electronics laboratory. We tried all three and for some reason the circuit doesn't work. What it does is just turn on the LED when the batter is connected to the circuit. Maybe I should try different resistors or something of that sort.

Many circuits won't work without tweaking, possibly because a component differs a little from the one the original constructors used. You need to test each block to make sure it is working, before expecting them to all work together.

Have you got one constructed and ready to examine?

As the 1st video suggests - putting a pot in the voltage divider (on the comparator) will allow you to adjust the sensitivity. You could also put a pot on the amplifier side to make the signal input to the comparator louder. You should check that each stage in the circuit does what it is supposed to do separately.

I'm thinking that a common mistake with these things is to swap the v- and v+ pins ... if the sensitivity was low, then the circuit would look properly wired but it won't be. If you increase the sensitivity, the LED will go out when you clap.

I don't have any circuit set up right now since I've been going back and forth between the ones I find online, but I'll try again tomorrow. Which one of these models seems more adequate to work? The first one?

Yes, the first one looks okay. The third one requires two claps, to first turn the LED on, then off.

NascentOxygen said:
Yes, the first one looks okay. The third one requires two claps, to first turn the LED on, then off.

My group and I built the first one without flip flops or timer. We get a tiny little bit of light from the LED with every clap. I assume we should put less resistances so more current passes through them and the LED can light up better?

Elektor had some designs to do that. What they propose uses to work and be sound.

jean28 said:
My group and I built the first one without flip flops or timer. We get a tiny little bit of light from the LED with every clap. I assume we should put less resistances so more current passes through them and the LED can light up better?
I'd say no, heavier LED current may not be the answer. For an indicator LED it is already powered at about its current limit. It might be the first stage that requires attention. Breadboard it again and we'll take a look at it.

For claps it will blink on briefly, as in the video. But if you howl or whistle at it, the LED should light for the duration.

I'll second that - the peak current will likely be the max the LED can handle. A comparator is usually very sensitive to small changes in input giving an output that switches rapidly on and off. What would a rapidly oscillating signal mean for the brightness of the LED?

Smoothing out the output signal (hint: negative feedback) should help as will buffering the output and/or just making the circuit less sensitive (so the trigger voltage is well below the small oscillation in the triggering signal. As per post #2: understanding the circuit is the key to getting it to work well: I suspect that is why this exercise was selected.

(note: the videos you linked actually explain all this to different degrees - and looking up "comparator" online also gets you these details. In a way the exercise is trying to get you to read resources in a special way: so that you realize the implications of what you read.)

I have designed and built circuits that control a transmitter so that it turns on when a microphone detects speech.

It consists of an amplifier to build the output of a microphone up to 5 volts or so (from 10 mV) and this drives a monostable which has a delay of several seconds.

So, only a brief pulse is needed to produce continuous output for any desired length of time.

This would allow a LED to turn on and be easily seen.

I guess I could find this circuit, but similar circuits probably exist on Google Images. Just look for the monostable (typically a 555 chip or maybe a LM121 chip).

jean28 said:
My group and I built the first one without flip flops or timer. We get a tiny little bit of light from the LED with every clap.
If you construct it again, can you remove the microphone and its 1kΩ resistor, then power the circuit and use a voltmeter to measure the voltage at each of these points (referenced to ground): A, B, C, D, and E. Post the values here.

Then use a short wire to connect the two points x-x and remeasure voltages A, D, and E (again referenced to ground).

You are using an LM324? Does your microphone element have a manufacturer or part number on it?

Attachments

• clap-switch.png
    clap-switch.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 591

1. How does a clapper circuit actually work?

A clapper circuit works by using a sound sensor, such as a microphone or piezoelectric sensor, to detect a clap or other loud noise. This triggers a transistor to switch on and activate a relay, which in turn switches on the connected load (such as a light or appliance).

2. What components are needed to build a clapper circuit?

The basic components needed for a clapper circuit include a sound sensor, transistor, relay, and a power source. Additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes may also be used for specific circuit designs.

3. Can a clapper circuit work with any type of load?

Yes, a clapper circuit can work with a wide range of loads, including lights, fans, and other appliances. However, the load must be compatible with the relay used in the circuit and must not exceed its maximum switching capacity.

4. How can I adjust the sensitivity of a clapper circuit?

The sensitivity of a clapper circuit can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the sound sensor circuit. Increasing the values will make the circuit less sensitive, while decreasing the values will make it more sensitive to sound.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a clapper circuit?

As with any electrical circuit, there are potential safety concerns when using a clapper circuit. It is important to follow proper wiring and insulation techniques, and to ensure that the circuit is not overloaded. It is also important to use caution when working with high voltage circuits and to always disconnect the power source before making any changes to the circuit.