Clarification needed: u-sub requires combining 2 constants

• Thread starter Rear Naked
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, to evaluate the integral ∫-x/(x+1) dx, the u-substitution method was used. The resulting antiderivative is ln(x+1) - x + C, where C is a constant. Both the method used in this attempt and the long division method used by Wolfram are equally valid approaches to solving the integral. It is important to note that the constant C may be different when using different methods, and it is common practice to differentiate between the two by using a different letter (e.g. C').
Rear Naked

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫-x/(x+1) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do a U-sub

u=x+1
du=dx
x=u-1

-∫(u-1)/u du

-∫[u/u - 1/u] du

-∫1 - 1/u du

-[∫1du - ∫1\u du]

-[u - ln(u) + C]

ln(u)-u+C

ln(x+1)-(x+1)+C

ln(x+1)-x-1+C

I combine -1 and C into a single C to get the final answer

ln(x+1) - x + CWolfram says the answer is correct, but its method is slightly different. It uses long division at the outset to go from -∫x/(x+1) dx → -∫1 - 1/(x+1) dx before seperating into 2 integrals, and doing a u-sub on the second. My answer ends up the same, but getting that extra -1 from substituting the (x+1) in for u is making me nervous for some reason, even though I ultimately combine it with the constant. Is my process equally correct (I think it is) or did I just get lucky with the solution?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rear Naked said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫-x/(x+1) dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do a U-sub

u=x+1
du=dx
x=u-1

-∫(u-1)/u du

-∫[u/u - 1/u] du

-∫1 - 1/u du

-[∫1du - ∫1\u du]

-[u - ln(u) + C]

ln(u)-u+C

ln(x+1)-(x+1)+C

ln(x+1)-x-1+C

I combine -1 and C into a single C to get the final answer

ln(x+1) - x + C

Wolfram says the answer is correct, but its method is slightly different. It uses long division at the outset to go from -∫x/(x+1) dx → -∫1 - 1/(x+1) dx before seperating into 2 integrals, and doing a u-sub on the second.

My answer ends up the same, but getting that extra -1 from substituting the (x+1) in for u is making me nervous for some reason, even though I ultimately combine it with the constant. Is my process equally correct (I think it is) or did I just get lucky with the solution?

Thanks

Either approach can be taken to produce the antiderivative. Many times it is the case that more than one technique can be used.

Two comments:
1. You should connect the expressions you have with =.
2. In these lines --
ln(x+1)-x-1+C
ln(x+1) - x + C
-- C on the 2nd line is different from C on the first. What people usually do is write a different constant (e.g., C') to indicate that the new constant actually is different from the previous one.

1. What is u-sub and why is it used?

U-sub, short for "u-substitution", is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals. It involves substituting a variable, typically denoted as "u", in place of a more complex expression in the integral. This allows for easier integration and finding the antiderivative.

2. Can u-sub be used for all integrals?

No, u-sub can only be used for integrals where the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function and its derivative. It is most commonly used for integrals involving trigonometric functions, logarithms, and exponential functions.

3. How does u-sub require combining two constants?

In u-sub, the variable u is substituted for a more complex expression, which often includes constants. After the substitution, the constants may need to be combined in order to properly integrate the new expression. This is because the derivative of a constant is 0, so it needs to be eliminated from the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using u-sub?

U-sub allows for the integration of more complex functions by simplifying the expression and making it easier to integrate. It also helps in finding the antiderivative, which is necessary for evaluating definite integrals.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using u-sub?

One common mistake when using u-sub is forgetting to include the "du" or "dx" at the end of the integral after substitution. This is necessary for correctly integrating the new expression. Another mistake is choosing the wrong u-substitution, which can make the integral more complicated instead of simplifying it.