Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Classical equations and light

1. Jan 1, 2018 #21

What should I use then for light which has been slowed to "non-relativistic" velocities? I presume that only relativistic equations would still have to apply?

2. Jan 1, 2018 #22

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The speed of light is always ##c##. You can't slow it down.

3. Jan 1, 2018 #23
    Sure you can. C is only for a vacuum.

4. Jan 1, 2018 #24

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You are trying to open an entirely different can of worms here. The dispersion relation for light in a medium is not the same as that in vacuum. You really cannot say that light in a medium is massless.

5. Jan 1, 2018 #25

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a very different scenario. In a medium photons interact with the medium, are absorbed and may be re-emitted. That's what causes the apparent change in speed. You can't directly use equations for undisturbed motion in this case.

6. Jan 1, 2018 #26

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I must say that I really dislike this quite popular heuristic. I do not think it adequately describes what is going on and leads to misconceptions and misunderstandings.

Either way, I generally recommend staying away from ”photons” when discussing classical relativity and instead look at the dispersion relation of plane EM waves in the medium.

7. Jan 1, 2018 #27

Mister T

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\vec{p}=\left(\frac{E}{c^2}\right) \vec{v}##

Your confusion is over when we can use equations that apply to massive particles versus equations that apply to massless particles. The equation I wrote above applies to both, as does the one previously mentioned in this thread: ##E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2##.

The equation ##\vec{p}=\gamma m\vec{v}## applies only to massive particles. For low speeds ##\gamma \approx 1## and we can write ##\vec{p}=m \vec{v}##.

Up until now we have been discussing a single massless photon moving at speed ##c## through a vacuum. Once you start looking at collections of photons you see that the collection can and usually does have mass. Having a beam of light scatter as it passes through a medium involves the photons interacting with the atoms that make up the medium. You can try to understand that, but modelling the light as a collection of massive particles moving at speeds less than ##c## will not work in the sense that the model will not be consistent with the way we see light actually behaving.

8. Jan 1, 2018 #28

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Furthermore, the CHANGE in the apparent speed of light in a medium is because we tend to measure the group velocity of light! This automatically means that we measure not the speed of a photon, but rather the speed of a collection of LARGE number of photons, which we collectively call "light" or EM wave. This is what we typically measure as the speed of light.

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted