Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory

In summary: The errors have been corrected by the 16th printing in 2018. That textbook is also one of the most recommended textbooks by Universities in my country.
shinobi20
I have read some parts of the book but noticed some errors that are to much for me to be uncomfortable for the rest of the book. Anyone encountered such problems with the book? Mainly, encountering too many errors? Even the errata in the publisher's site didn't gave sufficient corrections to the errors I saw. Do anyone here know if there exist some compilation of errors besides the errata?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521534097/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
shinobi20 said:
I have read some parts of the book but noticed some errors that are to much for me to be uncomfortable for the rest of the book. Anyone encountered such problems with the book? Mainly, encountering too many errors? Even the errata in the publisher's site didn't gave sufficient corrections to the errors I saw. Do anyone here know if there exist some compilation of errors besides the errata?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521534097/?tag=pfamazon01-20
What sort of errors are you talking about? This book seemed to be a pretty clear book with very clear cut definitions, principles and proofs. Perhaps it is written by a mathematician and as such doesn't have all the physical insights that can be hoped for. But overall it is a good book.
Can you give a specific example of an egregious error that you have found out?

Likes Delta2
This thread was posted in 2015, so if they still remember the details then it must have been pretty bad...

• Haha
Likes SolarisOne, Vanadium 50 and Delta2
Office_Shredder said:
This thread was posted in 2015, so if they still remember the details then it must have been pretty bad...

But we still do not know exactly where this book is presumably wrong (chapter/page)...
For example, here https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academ...solid-mechanics/classical-mechanics?format=PB is the official errata from the publisher.
Since a second edition was no longer published by CUP, in order to have the opportunity to integrate this errata, it means the book was not a success with the classical mechanics' instructors and students (at least in the UK).

Attachments

• 3804_Errata_11.06.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 154
Likes Delta2
dextercioby said:
it means the book was not a success with the classical mechanics' instructors and students (at least in the UK).
Commercial success is not necessarily a good measure on the quality of a text.

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
caz said:
Commercial success is not necessarily a good measure on the quality of a text.
While this is correct, one must bear in mind that the decision to publish a second edition of a book (so that the errata is implemented) is made primarily on profitability analysis:

a) the textbook was so well sold, that the publisher asks the author to „polish” the initial text, so that it can be sold again.
b) the textbook was so poorly written and had such miserable sales and feedback from professors, that the publisher urges the author to almost rewrite all again (the famous example of Schwichtenberg's "Physics from Symmetry", Springer Verlag).

Likes vanhees71
dextercioby said:
But we still do not know exactly where this book is presumably wrong (chapter/page)...
For example, here https://www.cambridge.org/gb/academ...solid-mechanics/classical-mechanics?format=PB is the official errata from the publisher.
Since a second edition was no longer published by CUP, in order to have the opportunity to integrate this errata, it means the book was not a success with the classical mechanics' instructors and students (at least in the UK).
Those errors have been corrected by the 16th printing in 2018. That textbook is also one of the most recommended textbooks by Universities in my country

Likes Delta2

1. What is Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory?

Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamental principles and theories of classical mechanics, including topics such as motion, forces, energy, and momentum. It is a popular resource for students and researchers in the field of physics.

2. Who is Douglas Gregory?

Douglas Gregory is a British physicist and professor at the University of Manchester, UK. He is known for his research in the field of theoretical and computational fluid dynamics, and has authored several textbooks, including Classical Mechanics.

3. What are the key concepts covered in Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory?

The key concepts covered in Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, and the principles of work, power, and potential energy. It also covers topics such as oscillations, gravitation, and rigid body dynamics.

4. Is Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory suitable for beginners?

Yes, Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more complex topics. It also includes worked examples, practice problems, and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

5. Are there any online resources available for Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory?

Yes, there are several online resources available for Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory, including lecture notes, practice problems, and solutions. The publisher also offers access to an online learning platform with interactive resources and quizzes for students.