1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Possible textbook for Classical Mechanics

1. Dec 15, 2015 #1
    Hi, I was wondering what textbooks I should be looking at to learn classical mechanics. I have spent a lot of time looking, but none of the ones I found had what I was looking for. For example, one book would cover all basic concepts in classical mechanics, but then it wouldn't cover more advanced topics like the Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formulations. Instead, they would jump ahead and start talking about special relativity, or thermodynamics. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful for some input. I should also mention that mathematical rigor doesn't matter, I know single, and multivariable calculus, along with differential equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2015 #2

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Dec 15, 2015 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Marion and Thornton if you have not had a course in classical mechanics, Symon also is a good choice.

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4
  6. Dec 16, 2015 #5
    I like Goldstein's text, as mentioned above, as well ashttps://www.amazon.com/Classical-Me...22&sr=8-1&keywords=classical+mechanics+taylor. The latter has a fairly extensive selection of problems on the topics presented. The text by https://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Third-Edition-Theoretical-Physics/dp/0750628960 is a little more difficult to follow, but it jumps straight into the principle of least action and provides helpful insight, especially upon subsequent readings.

7. Jan 30, 2017 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  8. Jan 31, 2017 #7
    I used Marion and Thornton 4e in university. My background was a standard three semester freshman/sophomore physics sequence, three semesters of calculus, a class in differential equations, and one intro linear/matrix algebra class.

9. Jan 31, 2017 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How much math do you know?

10. Feb 15, 2017 #9
    I wouldn't prefer much mathematical, as I'm not a pro in that. Like, I prefer Griffith to r.Shankar in quantum mechanics..so you see...

11. Feb 15, 2017 #10
  12. Feb 22, 2017 #11
  13. Feb 25, 2017 #12
    Just out of curiosity, I am curious what do you mean by Marion's screwing up? I am actually considering buying his latest edition to do more problems, which were lacking at Landau/Lifshitz.

The OP should also consider L/L's VOl. I, which is great book for first introduction to the mechanics assuming that the OP has strong math background.

14. Feb 25, 2017 #13
    Sorry, that's probably personal bias. Marion is probably one of the least offensive new editions. The trend is to continue publishing good books long after the author dies. Someone's name gets added, they edit and alter in a style which is different and interrupts the flow, add white space and useless color pictures to justify new editions and outrageous prices, etc. Calculus texts are the worst offenders.

As I said, Marion hasn't changed much. But if you can pick up an original for next to nothing you should do that instead of paying $200 for a new one.

15. Feb 25, 2017 #14
    The international edition is available for $12.70

https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Dynamics-Particles-Systems-Thornton/dp/8131518477

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted