Classical Mechanics: Forces on two cylinders

In summary, the problem asks you to find the angle at which the force of gravity is equal to the force on the uppermost cylinder. You use the dimensions of the box to solve for the angle.
Saennir

Homework Statement

Two identical, uniform and rigid cylinders, each of radius a and mass m, are laid horizontally at rest inside a rigid box of width w. There is no friction acting at any of the four contacts.

i) Draw a diagram for each cylinder showing the forces acting on it alone, using labels to show which forces, if any, have the same magnitudes. Justify your assignments.

ii) Show that the force R acting upon the uppermost cylinder at the contact point the cylinders is given by [itex]R=\frac{mg}{\sqrt{(2(w/2a)-(w/2a)^2)}}[/itex]

The problem + diagram are shown in the following imgur link. (Parts a and b were unrelated)

http://imgur.com/HCzNA

Homework Equations

[itex]R=\frac{mg}{\sqrt{(2(w/2a)-(w/2a)^2)}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first section of the problem seemed relatively straightforward: the left and right cylinder both have the same downwards force acting on them due to gravity, as well as contact forces between them equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, pointing towards the centre of each cylinder, given in part 2 as R. The cylinder on the left also has reaction forces from the bottom and side of the box, and the cylinder on the right has a reaction force from the side on the right.

I mainly had trouble with the second part of the problem: I understand that for the uppermost cylinder the vertical component of R is equal to the force acting on the cylinder due to gravity, so Rsinθ = mg, and thus R = mg/sinθ. However, I'm unsure of how to find the angle/determine sinθ using the dimensions of the box, w and a.

I thought I could possibly solve it using certain situations, ie when w = 2a, R = mg, and when w = 4a, R = 0, but I wasn't sure if that was the right approach or how to continue.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Saennir, welcome to PF.

Consider the geometry of the problem in the figure attached. You certainly can find how the angle is related to the dimensions of the box.

ehild

Attachments

• spheresinbox.JPG
    spheresinbox.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Ah, I see. Yeah, I solved it using that, thanks a lot.

Thanks for the welcome!

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces acting on them. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and provides a framework for understanding how objects move and interact with each other.

2. How do forces on two cylinders interact?

In classical mechanics, forces on two cylinders interact according to Newton's third law which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the force exerted by one cylinder on the other is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second cylinder on the first.

3. What are the types of forces involved in classical mechanics?

There are four fundamental types of forces in classical mechanics: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These forces govern the interactions between objects at both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

4. How do forces affect the motion of two cylinders?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. In the case of two cylinders, the forces acting on them determine their individual motions as well as how they interact with each other. The net force on each cylinder is determined by the sum of all the forces acting on it.

5. What is the relationship between forces and motion in classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, forces are directly related to the motion of an object. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.