• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Classical Mechanics: Kleppner-Kolenkow vs David Morin?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello,

I am confused between the two books. I am looking for a text that would provide sufficient theoretical insight into the topics and provide a good set of problems that would help me understand the topic well enough. What would be your suggestion?

PS- Taking a cursory look at both the books I found K&K less deep than Morin's.

Answers and Replies

Hello,

I am confused between the two books. I am looking for a text that would provide sufficient theoretical insight into the topics and provide a good set of problems that would help me understand the topic well enough. What would be your suggestion?

PS- Taking a cursory look at both the books I found K&K less deep than Morin's.
You can try AP French’s Newtonian Mechanics if you want to study Mechanics as physics and not as mathematics.

Thank you. I have already taken a look over the mentioned thread but found it not in relevance to my concerns for it dealt with IPho. Moreover, the replies did not lend enough credence which book should one go for.

However if you have had experience of using the books or one of the two, maybe you could give me an insight into which book I should go for?

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Sorry I have no experience with either one. Did you look at the reviews on Amazon?

KK is an introductory mechanics book. Morin is a step ahead and teaches Lagrangian mechanics. Both are notorious for having difficult problems.

I revised my classical mechanics couple of years ago, and I used both books,
My main source was K&K, which was superb in explaining the theory ( better than Morin's), but when it came to problems and problem solving techniques, Morin was better ( Also I like to add, the footnotes on Morin are rather enlightening, and the poetry is amusing).
So my advice, study from both books, starting from K&K first, and then read the relevant material from Morin to get more insight, and do as much problems from both.