Classical Mechanics: Kleppner-Kolenkow vs David Morin?

In summary, if you want an introductory book on classical mechanics, K&K is a good choice. However, if you want a more in-depth book, Morin's is better.
warhammer
Hello,

I am confused between the two books. I am looking for a text that would provide sufficient theoretical insight into the topics and provide a good set of problems that would help me understand the topic well enough. What would be your suggestion?

PS- Taking a cursory look at both the books I found K&K less deep than Morin's.

Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Hello,

I am confused between the two books. I am looking for a text that would provide sufficient theoretical insight into the topics and provide a good set of problems that would help me understand the topic well enough. What would be your suggestion?

PS- Taking a cursory look at both the books I found K&K less deep than Morin's.
You can try AP French’s Newtonian Mechanics if you want to study Mechanics as physics and not as mathematics.

Likes warhammer
gleem said:
Thank you. I have already taken a look over the mentioned thread but found it not in relevance to my concerns for it dealt with IPho. Moreover, the replies did not lend enough credence which book should one go for.

However if you have had experience of using the books or one of the two, maybe you could give me an insight into which book I should go for?

Sorry I have no experience with either one. Did you look at the reviews on Amazon?

KK is an introductory mechanics book. Morin is a step ahead and teaches Lagrangian mechanics. Both are notorious for having difficult problems.

Likes warhammer
I revised my classical mechanics couple of years ago, and I used both books,
My main source was K&K, which was superb in explaining the theory ( better than Morin's), but when it came to problems and problem solving techniques, Morin was better ( Also I like to add, the footnotes on Morin are rather enlightening, and the poetry is amusing).
So my advice, study from both books, starting from K&K first, and then read the relevant material from Morin to get more insight, and do as much problems from both.

Likes poseidon721, vanhees71 and warhammer

1. What is the difference between Kleppner-Kolenkow and David Morin's books on classical mechanics?

Kleppner-Kolenkow's book, "An Introduction to Mechanics," is a more traditional textbook that covers the fundamentals of classical mechanics in a rigorous and mathematical manner. On the other hand, David Morin's book, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics," takes a more modern approach and focuses on conceptual understanding and problem-solving techniques.

2. Which book is better for beginners in classical mechanics?

Both books are excellent resources for beginners in classical mechanics. However, Kleppner-Kolenkow's book may be more suitable for students with a strong mathematical background, while Morin's book may be more accessible for those with a weaker mathematical foundation.

3. Does either book cover special topics in classical mechanics?

Both books cover a wide range of topics in classical mechanics, including special topics such as rotational motion, oscillations, and central force motion. However, Morin's book also includes chapters on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, which are not covered in Kleppner-Kolenkow's book.

4. Are there any notable differences in the problem sets between the two books?

The problem sets in Kleppner-Kolenkow's book tend to be more traditional and focus on mathematical problem-solving, while Morin's book includes more conceptual problems and encourages students to think critically about the concepts presented.

5. Which book is more suitable for self-study?

Both books are suitable for self-study, but Morin's book may be more engaging for self-learners due to its focus on conceptual understanding and problem-solving techniques. However, Kleppner-Kolenkow's book may be more helpful for those seeking a more rigorous and mathematical approach to classical mechanics.