1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Mechanics: linear resistance

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a rocket subject to a linear resistive force, f= -bv but no other external forces. Using the equation mv'= -m'*vext+Fext show that if the rocket starts from rest and efects mass at a constant rate k= -m' then its speed is given by v=(k/b)vex[1-(m/m0)^b/k]

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i thought maybe I was suppose to integrate both sides of the equation
    mv'= -m'*vext+Fext, but then i really didn't know where to go from there. Any help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2
    I think your missing piece of information is to realize that the mass of the rocket depends on time:

[tex]m(t) = m_0 - kt[/tex]
  4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    Do I not need to integrate then? I just don't know where the power of b/k comes from.
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    You still need to integrate, but the integral is different.
  6. Dec 8, 2008 #5
    I still can't get this one to work out. Am I still missing information? I tried starting with the equation mv'= -m'*vext+Fext. I solved for v'. and then substituted in the equation m0-kt. But then I didn't know where to go from there.
  7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    help, I'm still stuck, can any one help me?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?