Classical Mechanics Problem with balls

In summary: I said it was tricky.)We need to take it in smaller steps. Please try to answer the question I asked, don't worry about aG yet.
Manolisjam

Homework Statement

Consider 2 balls A,B on the same line . and they are connected to a third one G with a rope L. AG, AB. now the system monves in the effect of the mass of G and its projection to the line AB is in the middle. No friction. mass of A=mass of B=m and mass of G=2m
.FInd the time of impact and the velocity of G at that time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the only forces are From the rope. 2 on the G ball and 1 in each of the balls.I understant i have to apply conservation law of energy but how? What is the potential energy? And also How to calculate the forces. Is it like the 3ball acts like gravity would do?
aaa.jpg

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Manolisjam said:
i have to apply conservation law of energy
You can use that, and the kinematics (i.e. dynamic geometry), to find the collision speed, but it will not yield the time.
To find the time you need to write out the force and acceleration equations and solve.
Use kinematics to find the relationships between the different accelerations.

Make a second sketch with balls A and B at the point of impact. Now compare the two sketches. What is the change in potential energy? Where did that energy go / what was done with the energy?

haruspex said:
You can use that, and the kinematics (i.e. dynamic geometry), to find the collision speed, but it will not yield the time.
To find the time you need to write out the force and acceleration equations and solve.
Use kinematics to find the relationships between the different accelerations.
Sorry but could you explain in more detail. I don't even get how to aply the conservation law.And how would i proceed doing the kinematics?

jrmichler said:
Make a second sketch with balls A and B at the point of impact. Now compare the two sketches. What is the change in potential energy? Where did that energy go / what was done with the energy?
i Understant that at the initial time kinetic energy is zero and an the final time all the potential energy is kinetic. So V_intitial =_Kfinal i know K=1/2 mu^2 but what about the potential?

Manolisjam said:
how would i proceed doing the kinematics?
These can be tricky to work out.
What you know is that the distances AG and BG are constant. Consider the arrangement when, say, angle ABG is θ. Suppose at this point A has an acceleration aA. What is the component of that acceleration in the AG direction?
If the distance AG is constant, what does that tell you about the acceleration of G in the AG direction?

haruspex said:
These can be tricky to work out.
What you know is that the distances AG and BG are constant. Consider the arrangement when, say, angle ABG is θ. Suppose at this point A has an acceleration aA. What is the component of that acceleration in the AG direction?
If the distance AG is constant, what does that tell you about the acceleration of G in the AG direction?
isnt the acceleration a_A towards AG but it has 2 components one towards B and one point down ?

Manolisjam said:
isnt the acceleration a_A towards AG but it has 2 components one towards B and one point down ?
My understanding of the question is that A and B are constrained to move horizontally, while G descends under gravity.
Please confirm or correct.

haruspex said:
My understanding of the question is that A and B are constrained to move horizontally, while G descends under gravity.
Please confirm or correct.
yes they are costrained to move horizontally only!

Manolisjam said:
yes they are costrained to move horizontally only!
So A's acceleration, aA, is horizontal, but that has a component in the AG direction. What is the magnitude of that component?

haruspex said:
So A's acceleration, aA, is horizontal, but that has a component in the AG direction. What is the magnitude of that component?
F/m ?? by Newtons law?

Manolisjam said:
F/m ?? by Newtons law?
No, we're just discussing kinematics at this stage: displacements, velocities, accelerations. No forces or masses.
If the horizontal acceleration is aA, what component does that have in the AG direction? Use the angle θ.

haruspex said:
No, we're just discussing kinematics at this stage: displacements, velocities, accelerations. No forces or masses.
If the horizontal acceleration is aA, what component does that have in the AG direction? Use the angle θ.
a_A=cosθ*a_G

Manolisjam said:
a_A=cosθ*a_G
I assume you are defining aG as the acceleration of G. That is not correct. (I said it was tricky.)
We need to take it in smaller steps. Please try to answer the question I asked, don't worry about aG yet.
What component does A's acceleration have in the AG direction?

haruspex said:
I assume you are defining aG as the acceleration of G. That is not correct. (I said it was tricky.)
We need to take it in smaller steps. Please try to answer the question I asked, don't worry about aG yet.
What component does A's acceleration have in the AG direction?
a_G i meant th component of a of A to the direction of G.

Manolisjam said:
a_G i meant th component of a of A to the direction of G.
Ok, but your answer was wrong. It would make the component greater than the whole.

haruspex said:
Ok, but your answer was wrong. It would make the component greater than the whole.
28450388_10213703965147783_1458233801_n.jpg

Attachments

• 28450388_10213703965147783_1458233801_n.jpg
    28450388_10213703965147783_1458233801_n.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 331
You are making an assumption about which is adjacent and which is hypotenuse.
If you have any vector - force, acceleration, velocity, whatever - and you want a component of that in some other direction then the vector you started with is the hypotenuse.

haruspex said:
If you have any vector - force, acceleration, velocity, whatever - and you want a component of that in some other direction then the vector you started with is the hypotenuse.
im tired ill pm you tommorow thanks so far !

haruspex said:
1.jpg
1.jpg
my progress so far...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 352
Your force equations might be ok... depends which directions you are defining as positive.
As I mentioned, there really is no point in working with energy conservation since you are asked to find time.

Please do not post algebra as images. It makes it hard to comment on specific lines.

haruspex said:
Your force equations might be ok... depends which directions you are defining as positive.
As I mentioned, there really is no point in working with energy conservation since you are asked to find time.

Please do not post algebra as images. It makes it hard to comment on specific lines.
SO what do i do?

Manolisjam said:
SO what do i do?
i think ima loose it.

Manolisjam said:
i think ima loose it.
Apply what I explained about resolving components in post #18 and hence find the correct relationship between aA and its component in the AG direction.
You will find it valuable to be able to do this correctly. It is fundamental to many kinematics problems.

haruspex said:
Apply what I explained about resolving components in post #18 and hence find the correct relationship between aA and its component in the AG direction.
You will find it valuable to be able to do this correctly. It is fundamental to many kinematics problems.
ok if a_A is the acceleration on x axes then cosθ=a_AG/a_A right? where a_AG is the component in a_AG direction

Manolisjam said:
ok if a_A is the acceleration on x axes then cosθ=a_AG/a_A right? where a_AG is the component in a_AG direction
Yes.
Now consider this: the distance from A to G is constant. What does that tell you about how the component of G's acceleration in the AG direction relates to aAG?

isnt Gs acceleration down?

Manolisjam said:
dont get it

ive been trying 2 days now straght . all . I've asked other people no1 will give me a full answer so i can study it and understant it. because that the policy .. i give up
haruspex said:
Yes.
Now consider this: the distance from A to G is constant. What does that tell you about how the component of G's acceleration in the AG direction relates to aAG?
nvm i give up.. its 3 day straight I am just doing this thing... and no1 can give me a full answer since i can't derive it..gn

Manolisjam said:
Yes, but it also has a component in the AG direction.
It might help to think about velocity components first. What would happen to the string if the component of G's velocity in the AG direction were greater than the component of A's velocity in the AG direction?

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as balls, based on Newton's laws of motion and the principles of energy and momentum.

2. What is a "Classical Mechanics Problem with balls"?

A "Classical Mechanics Problem with balls" refers to a physics problem that involves the application of classical mechanics principles to analyze the motion of balls, such as their velocity, acceleration, and forces acting upon them.

3. What are some common examples of "Classical Mechanics Problems with balls"?

Some common examples of "Classical Mechanics Problems with balls" include calculating the trajectory of a ball thrown through the air, determining the forces acting on a ball rolling down an inclined plane, and analyzing the collision between two balls.

4. How is Classical Mechanics applied to solve problems with balls?

Classical Mechanics is applied to solve problems with balls by using mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy and momentum, to analyze the motion of the balls and determine their behavior and interactions with other objects.

5. Why is understanding Classical Mechanics important for studying problems with balls?

Understanding Classical Mechanics is important for studying problems with balls because it provides a fundamental understanding of the principles that govern the motion of objects, allowing us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of balls in various situations.