Calculating Temperature and Pressure in a Sealed Container of Helium Gas

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of temperature and pressure of a sealed container holding helium gas with a volume of 0.1m^3 and 3.0x10^24 atoms at equilibrium. The distribution of speed of the helium atoms showed a peak at 1100ms^-1 and the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms was also mentioned. The position of the maximum in the energy distribution was also brought up. The equations of interest were Boltzmann's energy and distribution equations, and the individual suggested using 1/2 mv^2 = 3/2 kT to find the temperature and volume.
Curveball
A sealed container of volume 0.1m^3 holds 3.0x10^24 atoms of helium gas at equilibrium. Distribution of speed of the helium atom shows a peak at 1100ms^-1.
i) calculate temperature and pressure of the helium gas.
ii) what is the average kinetic energy of the helium atoms?
iii) what is the position of the maximum in the energy distribution?

Take mass of each helium atom to be 4.0 emu.
2. Boltzmanns energy and distribution equations3.
I really am at a loss in how to go about this. Please offer me some guidance.

Think I should let 1/2 mv^2 = 3/2 kT and some how work that around to get temperature and thereafter volume but I am stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have written the names of some equations that are of interest, that is a good start. Now, how do these equations look and how can you use the provided information to find unknowns using them?

1. What is classical physics of matter?

Classical physics of matter is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of matter using Newtonian mechanics and the laws of thermodynamics. It deals with the macroscopic world and is based on the assumption that matter is made up of particles that interact with each other through forces.

2. What are the main principles of classical physics of matter?

The main principles of classical physics of matter include the conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum. It also includes the laws of motion, which state that an object remains at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What are the different states of matter in classical physics?

The three main states of matter in classical physics are solid, liquid, and gas. In a solid, particles are tightly packed and have a fixed shape and volume. In a liquid, particles are still close together but can move past each other, taking the shape of their container. In a gas, particles are far apart and have no definite shape or volume.

4. How does temperature affect matter in classical physics?

In classical physics, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As temperature increases, the particles gain more energy and move faster, causing the substance to expand and change state. As temperature decreases, the particles lose energy and move slower, causing the substance to contract and potentially change state.

5. What are some real-world applications of classical physics of matter?

Classical physics of matter has many real-world applications, including the design and operation of machines, understanding weather patterns, and the behavior of fluids in pipes and other systems. It also forms the basis of many engineering disciplines, such as civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering.