Clear formula for water penetration by wave frequency

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a clear formula for determining the penetration of clear and salty water using radio waves at a specific frequency. The speaker expressed difficulty in finding simple formulas online and questioned the accuracy of empirical formulas. They also suggested the use of the Beer-Lambert law for visual frequencies.
Ali-GH
I want a clear formula for clear water (and salty water) penetration by giving only the radio wave frequency .
I searched the web , the formulas on the web are so complicated .
Are there any simple formula available for that ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but what sort of wave? Light? Sound? Radio? Mexican?

Likes berkeman
CWatters said:
Not my field but what sort of wave? Light? Sound? Radio? Mexican?
I mean radio wave

Ali-GH said:
I want a clear formula
I don't think that's a serious possibility. Could this link be of any help? You could extract some data from the graphs from this golden oldie. (I loved the kMC/s for GHz)

Likes berkeman
Another aspect is accuracy I presume. Neat clear formulas tends to be empirical in nature which typically only are fairly accurate over a limited set of input frequencies. So what level of accuracy you need/want and over what range of inputs matter a lot too.

For visual frequencies I've used https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer–Lambert_law along with measured absorption coefficients (interpolated). But my work was just for rendering, not absolute accuracy.

1) What is the clear formula for water penetration by wave frequency?

The clear formula for water penetration by wave frequency is determined by the Beer-Lambert Law, which states that the intensity of light passing through a material decreases exponentially as the distance traveled increases. This can be expressed as I = I0e-αx, where I is the intensity of light after passing through the material, I0 is the initial intensity, α is the absorption coefficient of the material, and x is the distance traveled.

2) How does wave frequency affect water penetration?

The higher the frequency of the wave, the greater the energy and the deeper the penetration into water. This is because higher frequency waves have shorter wavelengths, allowing them to travel further through the water before being absorbed or scattered by particles.

3) What factors influence the absorption coefficient of water?

The absorption coefficient of water is influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, salinity, and the presence of impurities or dissolved substances. Generally, warmer water and higher salinity will result in a higher absorption coefficient, leading to less water penetration by high frequency waves.

4) How is light affected by water penetration?

As light passes through water, it is absorbed and scattered by particles and dissolved substances, resulting in a decrease in intensity and a change in color. This is why objects appear to have different colors when viewed underwater compared to above the surface.

5) Why is understanding water penetration important in scientific research?

Water penetration by wave frequency is an important factor to consider in various fields of scientific research, such as oceanography, marine biology, and underwater acoustics. It can help us understand the distribution of light and heat in the ocean, as well as the behavior and communication of marine animals. It also has implications for underwater imaging and communication technologies.