Clemson and UNC Charlotte. Opinions please?

• Thread starter BillBLack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, the speaker is seeking opinions on the mechanical engineering programs at UNC Charlotte and Clemson universities, specifically in regards to the motorsports/automotive concentrations. They are a 49 year old looking to transfer after their youngest child graduates high school and have completed relevant coursework with a GPA above 3.0. They are also curious about admission policies for older students.
BillBLack
I am interested in the Mechanical Engineering programs @ UNC Charlotte and Clemson, and would like to solicit some opinions on the ME department at both schools. Also does anyone know anything about the motorsports/automotive concentrations in these programs?

I am a 49 year old man undergoing one of those mid life course corrections and have some trepidation about getting accepted into a good program due to my age, but I hope that does not come about. I'll be transferring after my youngest gets out of HS here in scenic Kansas with an AAS. I'll have Calc I, II and III done as well as 2 semesters of calculus based physics, stats and linear eq. My GPA is well above 3.0. Anyone have any thoughts on over-age admission policies?
Any replies will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot opine about your question. I have no idea.

The only thing I want to say something is about your signature. I had a physics teacher who always said in class:

"Do you have some questions about this?
You know, there are no stupid questions, but there are stupid answers."

I will remind him forever. A great guy called Roberto. A great physicist.

As a disclaimer, I am not a student or alumni of either Clemson or UNC Charlotte, so my response is purely based on my knowledge of both schools and their Mechanical Engineering programs.

From my research, both Clemson and UNC Charlotte have highly reputable Mechanical Engineering programs. Both schools have state-of-the-art facilities and experienced faculty who are dedicated to their students' success. In terms of the motorsports/automotive concentrations, both schools have strong connections to the industry and offer hands-on experiences through internships and research opportunities.

In terms of age, I do not believe it should be a hindrance to your acceptance into a good program. Your GPA and previous coursework demonstrate your dedication and readiness for a rigorous engineering program. From my understanding, both schools have a diverse student population, so age should not be a factor in your acceptance.

I would recommend reaching out to current students or alumni from both schools to get a better understanding of their experiences in the Mechanical Engineering program. It may also be helpful to visit the campuses and talk to faculty and advisors to get a better feel for the program and see which one aligns more with your interests and goals.

Overall, I believe both Clemson and UNC Charlotte would provide you with a strong education in Mechanical Engineering. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Clemson and UNC Charlotte. Opinions please?

1. What is the academic reputation of Clemson and UNC Charlotte?

Clemson University is known for its strong engineering and agriculture programs, as well as its strong research and innovation in areas such as automotive engineering and sustainable energy. UNC Charlotte has a strong reputation for its business, engineering, and computer science programs, as well as its focus on urban research and community engagement.

2. How do the campus environments differ between Clemson and UNC Charlotte?

Clemson University is located in a more rural setting, with a large, picturesque campus surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. UNC Charlotte, on the other hand, is located in a more urban setting with a diverse student population and a focus on sustainability and community involvement.

3. What are the athletic programs like at Clemson and UNC Charlotte?

Clemson University is known for its highly competitive Division I sports teams, particularly in football and basketball. UNC Charlotte also has a strong athletic program, with Division I teams in sports such as basketball, soccer, and baseball.

4. How do the tuition and financial aid options compare between Clemson and UNC Charlotte?

Clemson University and UNC Charlotte have similar tuition rates for in-state students, but Clemson's out-of-state tuition is slightly higher. Both universities offer a variety of scholarships, grants, and financial aid options to help students cover the cost of attendance.

5. What is the student life like at Clemson and UNC Charlotte?

Both Clemson University and UNC Charlotte offer a diverse and active student life, with many clubs and organizations to get involved in. Clemson has a strong Greek life presence, while UNC Charlotte has a more commuter-friendly campus with a variety of on-campus events and activities.