UNC Charlotte and Clemson ME programs-opinions?

• Thread starter BillBLack
  • Start date
Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the Mechanical Engineering programs at UNC Charlotte and Clemson, particularly in relation to their motorsports/automotive concentrations. The forum member, a 49-year-old man, expressed concerns about his age and chances of getting accepted into a good program. However, the expert reassured him that universities value diversity and encouraged him to reach out to the admissions offices for more information. Both universities were praised for their strong ME departments and it was suggested to research their specific courses and research opportunities to determine the best fit. Overall, age should not be a barrier to pursuing one's passions and education.
BillBLack
I had posted this in the ME forum, but perhaps I had posted this question in the wrong place.

I am interested in the Mechanical Engineering programs @ UNC Charlotte and Clemson, and would like to solicit some opinions on the ME department at both schools. Also does anyone know anything about the motorsports/automotive concentrations in these programs?

I am a 49 year old man undergoing one of those mid life course corrections and have some trepidation about getting accepted into a good program due to my age, but I hope that does not come about. I'll be transferring after my youngest gets out of HS here in scenic Kansas with an AAS. I'll have Calc I, II and III done as well as 2 semesters of calculus based physics, stats and linear eq. My GPA is well above 3.0. Anyone have any thoughts on over-age admission policies?
Any replies will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

I can offer some insights on the Mechanical Engineering programs at UNC Charlotte and Clemson. Both universities have strong ME departments with reputable faculty and state-of-the-art facilities. The motorsports/automotive concentrations at these schools are also highly regarded and offer excellent opportunities for hands-on experience and industry connections.

Regarding your age and admission policies, it is important to note that universities value diversity in their student body and welcome students of all ages and backgrounds. Your previous academic achievements and experience will certainly be taken into consideration during the admission process. I would recommend reaching out to the admissions offices at both UNC Charlotte and Clemson to inquire about their specific policies and any potential concerns you may have.

In terms of program quality, both universities have a good reputation in the field of Mechanical Engineering and it ultimately comes down to personal preference and fit. I would suggest looking into the specific courses and research opportunities offered at each school to determine which aligns better with your interests and career goals.

I wish you the best of luck in your academic journey and hope that you find a program that is the perfect fit for you. Remember, age should not be a barrier to pursuing your passions and furthering your education. Keep pushing forward and never stop learning.

As a disclaimer, I am not affiliated with either UNC Charlotte or Clemson's ME programs, but I can offer some general opinions and information.

Overall, both UNC Charlotte and Clemson have reputable ME programs with strong faculty and resources. Both schools also have strong ties to the automotive industry, which could be beneficial for someone interested in the motorsports/automotive concentration.

In terms of the ME department, it would be best to research the faculty and their areas of expertise to see if there are any specific professors you would like to work with. You can also look into the research opportunities and facilities available at each school.

As for your age and admission, I don't think it should be a major concern. Many universities have non-traditional student programs and welcome students of all ages. Your previous academic record and experience will also be taken into consideration during the admissions process.

I would recommend reaching out to the admissions offices at UNC Charlotte and Clemson to inquire about their specific policies for non-traditional students and their ME programs. They will be able to provide more detailed information and answer any specific questions you may have.

Overall, both UNC Charlotte and Clemson have strong ME programs and it ultimately comes down to personal preference and fit. Good luck with your decision and future studies!

Related to UNC Charlotte and Clemson ME programs-opinions?

1. What is the difference between the UNC Charlotte and Clemson ME programs?

The main difference between the two programs is their location. UNC Charlotte is located in Charlotte, North Carolina while Clemson is located in Clemson, South Carolina. Additionally, the ME program at UNC Charlotte has a focus on energy systems and sustainability, while Clemson's ME program has a focus on advanced manufacturing and materials engineering.

2. Which program is more prestigious?

Both programs are well-respected and have a strong reputation in the engineering field. Ultimately, the prestige of a program is subjective and can depend on individual experiences and perspectives.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of these programs?

Both programs have a high job placement rate for graduates. Graduates from UNC Charlotte's ME program have been employed by companies such as Boeing, Duke Energy, and Siemens. Clemson's ME program has partnerships with companies like BMW, Michelin, and GE, providing students with opportunities for internships and job placements.

4. How do the class sizes and teaching styles differ between the two programs?

UNC Charlotte's ME program has smaller class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention from professors. Clemson's ME program has larger class sizes, but also offers hands-on learning experiences through its research and industry partnerships. Both programs have a mix of traditional lectures and hands-on learning opportunities.

5. Can students switch between the two programs?

It is possible for students to transfer between the two programs, but it is subject to the individual program's admission requirements and availability. It is recommended that students speak with advisors from both programs to determine the best course of action for their academic and career goals.