• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
If one studies American history and industrial development of the late 1800s and early 1900s, one will probably encounter stories of the railroad barons. One may have heard of Jay Gould (and son George Jay Gould), James Fisk, Cornelius Vanderbilt, E.H. Harriman, J.J. Hill, and the Van Swerigen brothers of Cleveland, OH. Each had a significant economic impact on the nation.

The Van Swerigens (Oris Paxton Van Sweringen (April 24, 1879 – November 22, 1936) and Mantis James Van Sweringen (July 8, 1881 – December 12, 1935)) had an interesting place in American railroading. I didn't appreciate the structure of their corporate empire until I read the following. It reminds me of the Pennsylvania and New York Central Railroads, and then later the PennCentral Railroad and the PennCentral Transportation Company, which became the largest corporate bankruptcy at the time (1972).

https://americanbusinesshistory.org/forgotten-empire-builders-clevelands-van-sweringen-brothers/Some history of terminal tower and the Van Swerigen brothers.
Some folks would like passenger service restored in downtown Cleveland.
https://www.cleveland.com/travel/20...veland-amtrak-station-back-at-tower-city.html

Likes jtbell
Science news on Phys.org
I watched the whole video. The scenes of the Terminal Tower concourse before the 1980s renovation brought back memories.

As noted in the video, "the Vans" (van Sweringen brothers) got into the railroad business because they wanted to build a high-speed route for streetcars connecting downtown Cleveland with Shaker Heights, which they had developed from mostly empty land. The New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (the "Nickel Plate Road") owned the land along the section from East 34th Street to Public Square, so the Vans bought the railroad in order to gain access to the right of way.

After the Vans' financial empire collapsed, the city of Shaker Heights bought the Cleveland Interurban Railroad (which the Vans had created to operate their streetcar lines) and set up a Department of Transportation, separately from Cleveland's own streetcar system (Cleveland Railways, later Cleveland Transit System).

Cleveland Interurban Railroad timetable from 1940 (PDF)

Shaker Heights Dept. of Transportation timetable from 1975 (PDF)

When it came time for me to get braces on my teeth, my dentist recommended an orthodontist in Shaker Heights. So, several times a year my mother and I drove an hour to Shaker Heights for my morning appointment, then rode the "Shaker Rapid" into the city for some shopping. During 1970-71 I took my camera along on some of those trips.

The "Shaker Rapid" on Van Aken Blvd. in Shaker Heights in 1971:

VanAken-1971.jpg

And at the E. 34th St. station, on the "rapid transit" section through Cleveland. The Terminal Tower is some distance behind my viewpoint.

E34-SHRT.jpg

The high level platforms at the rear are for the Cleveland Transit System's rapid transit line, which was built in the 1950s and shares this section of track. It uses trains that can not be boarded from street level, similarly to subway / rapid transit lines in New York, Chicago, etc.

The "CTS Rapid" uses infrastructure that was originally built by the Vans, alongside the New York Central route through Cleveland. They planned to build a network of rapid-transit lines radiating from the Terminal Tower (mentioned in the video), but those plans went "poof" because of the financial collapse. The CTS built its line later, mostly in the 1950s, with an extension to the airport in the late 1960s, the first direct rail transit link to a US airport.

E34-CTS.jpg

The CTS and the Shaker Heights systems (along with some other suburban bus lines) were consolidated into a regional transportation authority (RTA) in 1975, but the high/low platform distinction remains. Trains on the former "CTS Rapid" (now the Red Line) cannot operate on the former "Shaker Rapid" (now the Green and Blue Lines), and vice versa, except on the shared section that has both high and low level platforms. This situation will change in the next few years, because the RTA has ordered a fleet of new trains from Siemens, that can operate on all three lines, with some modifications to existing stations.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
I'm watching a Cleveland Browns football game on TV. Before returning to the game after a timeout, the network showed some quick scenes from Tower City.

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

The concourse layout is very different from the old days. I still vividly remember my first visit after the renovation, probably about ten years after my last previous visit. After arriving via the Green Line (formerly the Shaker Rapid), I was completely disoriented.

Likes Astronuc

1. Who were the Van Sweringen brothers and what was their role in the development of the Terminal Tower?

The Van Sweringen brothers, Oris Paxton and Mantis James, were American railroad tycoons and real estate developers in Cleveland, Ohio, during the early 20th century. They played a pivotal role in the development of the Terminal Tower complex as part of their ambitious plan to create a major transportation hub. The Terminal Tower, completed in 1930, was intended to serve as the centerpiece of a multifunctional complex that included office buildings, a hotel, and a shopping arcade, all connected to a major train station.

2. What is the historical significance of the Terminal Tower in Cleveland?

Terminal Tower is historically significant for several reasons. When completed, it was one of the tallest buildings in the world and the tallest outside of New York City. As a symbol of Cleveland’s economic power, it represented the city's growth and prominence in American industry and commerce during the early 20th century. Additionally, the building was an integral part of the Cleveland Union Terminal complex, which modernized and centralized rail transportation in the region, making it a crucial hub in the national rail network.

3. How did the Terminal Tower impact the city of Cleveland's urban development?

The construction of the Terminal Tower significantly impacted Cleveland's urban development by revitalizing the downtown area and encouraging further economic growth and urbanization. It attracted businesses and retailers to its premises, which helped in the economic development of the surrounding area. The complex also improved transportation infrastructure, making downtown Cleveland a more accessible and attractive location for both commercial and residential projects, thereby influencing the city's architectural and urban planning trends for decades.

4. What architectural style is the Terminal Tower, and who were its architects?

The Terminal Tower is designed in the Beaux-Arts architectural style, which is known for its grand and elaborate architectural elements. The building was designed by the architectural firm Graham, Anderson, Probst & White, a prominent firm based in Chicago that was known for designing significant buildings during that era. Their design for the Terminal Tower featured a complex facade with neoclassical and Art Deco influences, making it a landmark in Cleveland's skyline.

5. Are there any modern developments or renovations at the Terminal Tower complex?

Yes, the Terminal Tower and its surrounding complex have undergone several renovations and modern developments to maintain its relevance and functionality in the contemporary urban landscape. Recent renovations have focused on updating the interior spaces to accommodate modern office needs, improving accessibility, and enhancing retail areas within the complex. Additionally, the public spaces around the tower have been updated to better integrate with the city's contemporary urban fabric, including improvements in pedestrian pathways and public transit connectivity.

Back