Clock: Rates of Change Problem

In summary, the problem is to find the rate of change of the distance between the tips of the hour and minute hands at one o'clock. The solution involves using the law of cosines and taking the derivative of it. The angle between the hands can be found using the rate at which they travel, with the hour hand traveling \pi/6 per hour and the minute hand traveling 2\pi per hour.
Kilo
Here's the problem:

The minute hand is 8 mm long and the hour hand is 4 mm long. How fast is the distance between the tips of the hands changing at one o'clock?

It's from my calculus textbook (Stewart)

I want to find how fast the distance changes relative to time, not the angle between the hands.

I decided to use the law of cosines and then take the derivative of it:
d=distance between hands, d'= rate of change of the distance, [tex]\theta[/tex]=angle between hands, [tex]\theta[/tex]'=rate of change of the angle

2dd'=2*4*8*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]\theta[/tex]'

I can find d using law of cosines and angle [tex]\theta[/tex], but would it be okay to find [tex]\theta[/tex]' by saying:

the hour hand travels [tex]\pi[/tex]/6 per hour and the minute hand travels 2[tex]\pi[/tex] per hour...
[tex]\theta[/tex]'= 2[tex]\pi[/tex]-[tex]\pi[/tex]/6=11[tex]\pi[/tex]/6 per hour

I'm just not sure if that is how I should find [tex]\theta[/tex]'

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that argument is perfectly valid.

1. What is a "Clock: Rates of Change Problem"?

A "Clock: Rates of Change Problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the rate of change of a clock's hands over a certain period of time. It typically requires the use of equations and formulas to solve.

2. How do you approach solving a "Clock: Rates of Change Problem"?

The first step to solving this type of problem is to clearly define the variables and parameters given, such as the starting time, ending time, and any rates of change. Then, use the appropriate equations and formulas to calculate the rates of change and determine the final answer.

3. What are some common strategies for solving "Clock: Rates of Change Problems"?

Some common strategies for solving these types of problems include using the "distance equals rate times time" formula, converting time into minutes or seconds for easier calculations, and setting up a table or diagram to organize the given information.

4. Are there any real-life applications of "Clock: Rates of Change Problems"?

Yes, these types of problems can be seen in real-life situations such as calculating the speed of a rotating object, determining the time it takes for a chemical reaction to occur, or predicting the growth rate of a population.

5. What are some tips for avoiding common mistakes when solving "Clock: Rates of Change Problems"?

One tip is to always double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units for time (e.g. converting hours to minutes). Additionally, it can be helpful to draw a visual representation of the problem to better understand the given information and determine the correct equation to use.