1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Closed tank and inverted manometer question

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    Hey guy this is my first post here. Im looking for a little bit of help with a past paper i've been looking over. I've had a look at it and im drawing a blank due to being off ill when this was covered in class, if anyone would be so kind as to show me how to get started on this question I would be very greatful.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A closed cylindrical tank filled with water (pwater= 1000kg/m3) has a hemispherical dome and is connected to an inverted piping system. The liquid in the top of the piping system has a relative density of 0.8 and the remaning parts of the system are filled with water. Given that the pressure gauge reading at A is 60kPa, determine:

i)the pressure in the pipe at B
    ii) the equivalent pressure head, in mm of mercury (pmercury = 13,600 kg/m3) at the top of the dome

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out here :)!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2
    Hi and welcome to PF.

Before we can get started, I think a sketch would be helpful so we know where A and B are and any other useful information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook