CMOS inverter circuit question

In summary, the conversation is about a cMOS inverter circuit and the question is what the voltage value of Vin should be when both transistors are in saturation mode. The person asking the question initially mentions that they have tried using the drain current equations but are unable to lock down a variable, specifically the voltage across the gate of transistor 2 (Vgs2). However, they later realize that Vgs2 is always equal to 0.
Mugged
[SOLVED] cMOS inverter circuit question

Hey guys I have the following circuit; its an inverter using transistors

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7609/circuit.jpg

Im trying to figure out what the voltage value of Vin should be WHEN both transistors are in saturation mode. I have realized that if they both are in saturation mode then they will have the same current going through them - but when i use the drain current equations I'm left with a variable that I can't lock down in terms of Vin, namely the voltage across the gate of transistor 2 (Vgs2).

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I realized that Vgs2 is equal to 0 at all times.

1. What is a CMOS inverter circuit and how does it work?

A CMOS inverter circuit is a type of logic gate that is used in digital circuits. It consists of two complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) transistors that are connected in series. The input signal is connected to one of the transistors, and the output is taken from the other transistor. When the input is low, the first transistor conducts and the output is high. When the input is high, the first transistor turns off and the second transistor conducts, resulting in a low output.

2. What is the purpose of a CMOS inverter circuit?

The main purpose of a CMOS inverter circuit is to convert a digital input signal into its complementary form. This means that when the input is low, the output is high, and when the input is high, the output is low. This is essential in digital circuits as it allows for the representation and manipulation of binary data.

3. How is a CMOS inverter circuit different from other types of logic gates?

Unlike other types of logic gates, such as NAND, NOR, and AND gates, a CMOS inverter circuit does not have any feedback loops. This means that the output is not connected back to the input. Additionally, CMOS inverter circuits use both PMOS and NMOS transistors, resulting in lower power consumption and faster switching speeds.

4. Can a CMOS inverter circuit be used to amplify signals?

No, a CMOS inverter circuit is not designed for signal amplification. Its primary function is to invert the input signal. However, a cascade of CMOS inverters can be used to amplify a signal, but this is not its intended use.

5. What are the advantages of using a CMOS inverter circuit?

There are several advantages of using a CMOS inverter circuit, including low power consumption, high noise immunity, and fast switching speed. It also has a wide supply voltage range, making it suitable for use in a variety of applications. Additionally, CMOS technology is highly scalable, allowing for the integration of a large number of transistors on a single chip, making it cost-effective and efficient.